Brownsman Island

  based on 1 review   write a review

Seahouses, England

Brownsman Island Seahouses Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
393 reviews
Brownsman Island Aug 12, 2016
The first lighthouses on the Farnes consisted of beacon fires lit on the top of existing towers, such as Prior Castell’s tower on Inner Farne. The first purpose built lighthouse was on Staple Island, in 1776, but this only lasted a few years, being destroyed in the Great Storm of 1784. This 40 foot beacon tower was built on Brownsman Island shortly afterwards (in 1795) to serve as a lighthouse for the Outer Farnes, and was used until 1810 when Trinity House erected two new lighthouses, on Inner Farne in 1809 and one on Brownsman.

The first of the lighthouse keepers here was Robert Darling, grandfather of the famous Grace. In 1795 he was appointed keeper on the Outer Farnes and for his first 15 years in the job was in charge of the beacon light on this tower, burning timber and coals in a fire basket on the roof. Darling and his family lived in the bottom part of the tower. In 1805 his son William, with his wife Thomasin, came to join his father. When the new lighthouse was built in 1810 William took over the job there and with Thomasin brought up their nine children in the attached cottage.

However, the Brownsman light did not succeed in stopping the numerous wrecks on the islands to the north of this island, so in 1825 Trinity House decided to scrap it and build a new one on Longstone. William, Thomasin and the children moved there, and it was from there that he and Grace made their famous rescue of the Forfarshire survivors.
Beacon Tower, Brownsman Island
1 / 1 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Link
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!

Check Seahouses Hotel Deals

Check-in:
Check-out:
Guests:
Rooms:
Seahouses Map
1 review
1 review
1 review
1 review
1 review
Seahouses
photo by: Toonsarah