Brown Sugar Surf Camp

www.surfen-ohne-en.de/en/cam… - +62(0)81916766599 / +62(0)81916391970

Brown Sugar Surf Camp Medewi Reviews

melfina melfina
Secluded Surf Paradise Oct 28, 2011
Arriving in the dead of the night on the last flight from Singapore, we were spirited away by Solame (Surf Guide) & Billie (Driver). Braving 3 hours of death defying stunt driving on the typical Balinese roads, we arrived in Medewi. This is one of the rare surf accomodations that is situated right on the beach in Bali. Many surf camps operate in Bali and they each have their own strengths. This one is by far, the best for its peace, serenity and beauty.

Thunderous beach breaks were already issuing their challenge... I thought I had sold my friends and myself to Hellsgate. We were most carefully ushered to our gorgeous Villa Sumba and kindly left to grab some shut eye. Dude, it was 3 am, were you seriously expecting fireworks and a welcome party?

The morning sun took our breaths away literally. We opened our eyes to discover that our villa was gently nestled among quaint padi fields and crops dancing in the gentle wind. It was a gorgeous Villa designed to reflect the traditional architecture of Sumbaya. *(according to the camp manager Fendi) We were spoiled with our very own fridge, fully stocked with icy cold Bintangs, our own big screen TV and a good collection of surf movies and our own outdoor shower to retreat to post ‘surf spa battered’.

Starving, we bustled to the Brownies Café for breakfast*(part of accommodation cost). Breakfast was decent but the Saturday Night BBQ fish and grilled vegetables? To die for … Sure we get lots of good Balinese food in Singapore too, but out of all the local meals over 9 trips to Bali, this BBQ tops them all…

Even Jimbaran Bay, sorry my love, your succulent prawns and crabs were awesome but the chilli sambal was too… watered down to suit the gentle palates of the tourist for my asian taste. I didn’t quite like the strange old men with their violins, cellos, guitars, sombreros who were singing to the tourist for a token sum… Amigos… sombreros belong in Mexico, not Bali. I apologise for digressing.

The girls went for their virgin surf on Day 1 and I hung around to make sure my friends would be safe from the ‘washing machine’. Lessons wise, I’ve had more in-depth coaching before I even dipped my toe in bubbly surf. I was a little apprehensive about what the surf guide was getting my friends into… However, since it was the head honcho coaching them, I thought I’d let the man run his show…

After 20 minutes of fantasizing, I was Davina Hasselhoff, I jumped into the sea; to eat some surf on my own! The first few days, the waves were choppy and breaking too close together. We also wasted too much time getting out of our city-dweller speed, to truly maximise our time in the water. By the 3rd morning, the tide was getting better. (note to self: 1 week at surf camp is NEVER ENOUGH!) There are some good surf guides in the camp but unfortunately the girls only attended one lesson by them, later in the week.

The volcanic sand was a real spa experience, the lethal combination of sun, sand and surf gave us the best workout ever. [Not even 2 weeks of camping out in the jungles of Malaysia for rock climbing could come close.] The beach pebbles however were a terror to navigate. Note to future travellers, bring your cheapest beach slippers along! The under currents was pretty strong even for beginners BUT this depends on the tide cycle. I would recommend this camp for intermediate surfers who are JUST graduating from a beginner’s level. Wave conditions and coaching wise, not the best for beginners.

Bring your own rashguard, although the website states you get a rashie as part of the package… it’s always better to be prepared for “out of stock” replies. Having your own gear also means, being comfortable in the water… Get your money changed before you swing by the camp because it’s not easy to locate an ATM/ABM (automated teller/banking machine) that will accept your credit card.

The beauty and attraction of the place is the lack of touristy traps and high-end technology screaming at you. Immense yourself in a good book and enjoy a beautiful sunset. Food and drinks are available at the camp for a fee. (reasonable for most, a little pricey for me since I prefer local street food) It was humbling and refreshing to spend the day, admiring God’s most beautiful works of art. That one week in Medewi, took 2 years of stress right off my shoulders!

Do take a short 10 minute walk to the main road to feast on the yummilicious Mee Soto Ayam (local chicken noodle soup), crunchy Gado Gado (fried beancurd, beansprouts tossed with peanut paste) and the piping hot Indonesian favourite Bakso! (Meatball vermicelli soup)

I could go on for pages about the beauty and allure of quaint Medewi but this is a review of the surf camp after all.

Guest services 200% great. The Balinese people have never failed to impress me with their hospitality but there was something different in this camp… an aura, a warmth that you would only experience at the family table. The kitchen staff and the housekeeping staff were the gentlest and most obliging people ever. The surf guides and camp management were most open to feedback and accommodated every request possible.

It is really challenging to please 3 Singaporean chicas, we get a little too accustomed to efficient service back home. I said efficient, not excellent. ;)

They also organized some pretty interesting day trips… the snorkelling, the seafood yummies… a review for another day…

Fancy the gentle and graceful Banteng? (Balinese cattle) This is a great place to … get up close and personal with the beautiful fawn colour bovine with white socks…that looks faintly like… Bambi. FYI, we saw a new born calf getting to its feet…how awesome is that!

Would I come back to this place, to escape from the world?! Totally! Would I come here to maximise my skills? Good surf guides but I didn’t follow the intermediate group out so … maybe… I'll think about it when I figure out the tide cycle … Medewi did host the recent 2011 Grom Search.

Another wave, another day!
road sign :)
Entrance of the Camp
view from the office/reception
Villa Sumba!
monky says:
Congratulations on being featured!
cthunder86 says:
Congrats on being Today's Featured Travel Review!
Glynnes says:

Congrats on being Today's Featured Travel Review.
Medewi Map