Broadstairs Folkweek Trust

www.broadstairsfolkweek.org.uk - +00 44 (0)1843 604080

Broadstairs Folkweek Trust Reviews

planxty planxty
As good as it gets. Aug 13, 2017
I know I keep going on about it, but I make no apologies. Having celebrated it's 50th year a couple of years ago and which I had the great privelege of being invited to play, the festival just seems to get bigger and better every year.

I know many of you will probably think, "I don't like folk music, I'm not going to that", but I can assure you that there is really something for everyone. There are torchlight processions, fireworks, circus displays, morris dancers (see the pictures), various world musicians, blues gigs etc. etc. etc. There probably isn't an area of artistic endeavour that isn't represented somewhere during the week.

I have had many friends who are not at all into folk music who, once persuaded, return every year now purely for the atmosphere or craic, as the Irish would say.

Just a word of warning, there is not a bed to be had in the town that week. You really need to book about ten months in advance to have any chance.

With the exception of 2016 and when I was very happily touring Canada in a battered up old campervan (RV) with a dear friend, I have played consecutive years for well over 20 now and I just never tire of it. The quality of the entertainment provided, the facilities, the venues and most of all the sheer sense of joy in making and sharing music is something even a normally verbose idiot like me finds very difficult to articulate. By way of example, as mentioned in the main portion of my "Back where I belong" journal here, I arrived this year unbokked and unannounced (I should have been back in Canada but it fell through at the last minute) and I am still staying with friends almost a month after the festival ended.

With the downsizing of Sidmouth this is undoubtedly the largest Folk Festival in the UK now if not all of Europe. It is a thing of great joy and a national treasure. The images and videos (if I ever work out how to do that) are from a number of different years and are not intended to represent this years lineup but hopefully will give and idea of what it is all about. It never really changes that much.

You really should go if you get a chance.
Broadstairs Folk Week 2007. I was…

Check Broadstairs Hotel Deals