Broadstairs Bookshop

+00 44 (0)1843 860824

Broadstairs Bookshop Reviews

planxty planxty
What a little gem. Sep 03, 2017
I have been patronising the Broadstairs Bookshop for literally decades now and have had some temendous reads out of it.

Firstly, I do not realise how they keep going in an area with so much social deprivation and where every fifth shop seems to be a charity shop now, all selling excellent quality books for literally pennies. I have nothing against charity shops and I cannot remember the last time I bought a book in a convential bookshop, why would you unless you want a brand newly published edition of something? I read voraciously and, bizarrely, am not even a member of my local library as I keep forgetting to bring my books back so charity shops and wonderful quirky old-fashioned second-hand shops like this one are the order of the day.

Having a wander round I spied two "Oor Wullie" and "the Broons" annuals from comic strips originally featured in the Sunday Post, a Scottish newspaper. I used to always get one or the other from my late paternal grandmother (RIP) as a Christmas gift and I loved them so it was a complete joy to get a couple for only a few quid (pounds). In fact, I just noticed today (after the shop was shut) that they had a Bernard Cornwell novel in the window. I thought I had read them all but I had never heard of this one, entitled 1365.

Broadstairs has a huge literary history, mostly Dickensian, with the actual Bleak House being situated in the town, a lot of his writing having been done in the Albion Hotel (please see separate review in this journal entry) and I am sitting literally less than 50 yards as I write this from where he wrote parts of "Pickwick Papers". Yes, it really is that sort of town and if you are of any sort of a literary bent you cannot fail to feel some sort of influence here. Hell, I might even write a novel before I go home!

Broadstairs Bookshop carries all sorts of books and I really do mean all sorts although it does seem to have a better than average proportion of comic annuals from the last 50 or so years. Prices are very reasonable and the elderly gent (I mean absolutely no disrespect by that comment) is a complete mine of information and will help you find whatever you want from what looks initially like a bookshop someone threw a hand grenade into. What his filing system is I have no clue but it is certainly not the Dewey Decimal. He can still find you whatever you are looking for and I never make a trip to Broadstairs without visiting here.

This is a great shop and a lovely place to look around even if you are not going to purchase a book.
What a fine old bookshop.
vicIII says:
Fergy, thanks for sharing your insights!
Posted on: Sep 16, 2017
AdamR3723 says:
You are right about charity shops. But, I always enjoy independent bookshops. Of course, on-line selling is yet another challenge to physical bookshops. I buy on-line when I know what I want. I rely on physical shops to find the unexpected!
Posted on: Sep 16, 2017
starship1 says:
Love independent, unique bookshops like this! Love second-hand book sales too but my loving family always give me gift cards to a prominent national bookstore chain. So right now I am quite stocked up with new books. What kind of books do you like?
Posted on: Sep 15, 2017