Broad St

Broad St, Birmingham, United Kingdom

Broad St Birmingham Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Broad Street - Partying in the Midlands Apr 12, 2014
Broad Street is the bar hub of Birmingham, and the only place in the whole world where a man touting a kebab shop was so aggressive I had to be sharp with him. I have never met such an in-your-face kebab tout – he was actively blocking our way and wouldn’t let my friend through. Seriously.

He was not the only tout, although he was the worst. You can’t move three feet on a Saturday night without someone in a bar uniform thrusting a leaflet in your face, someone on stilts trying to pass you a voucher, or something of that ilk. This is party central for the Midlands.

Why am I reviewing the street and not the bars? Well, the bar we were in, Revolution, was just relaunching after a refit, as were several of the others, and I’m not sure what they would be like on a normal night. I mean, we had free fake flowers and cheap hats and shooter limbo and dancing showgirls and some sort of predator on stilts and a man with a saxophone standing on the bar playing along to the dance music. All of which is fun at a hen do, although the music was a bit meh (possibly as a consequence of only playing things that the man on the saxophone could join in with), and the cocktails and mocktails were absolutely excellent. The staff were lovely. I just don’t know if that particular bar always has predators and showgirls and free shooter limbo. I‘m fairly sure that, somewhere on that street, someone will.

Inside the bars, there are special offers galore and a friendly sort of atmosphere. The door staff were all very polite and very firm if there was trouble brewing, which is what you want out of a bouncer. It is a good place for a night out. But I’d watch your stuff very carefully, especially outside the bars, and the touts can be really annoying. It’s also the last place on the planet you should go if you want a quiet night, craft beer (actually, does anyone in Birmingham drink craft beer?) or indie music.

Check Birmingham Hotel Deals