British Airways Terraces Lounge, SFO

British Airways Terraces Lounge, SFO - The drab entrance
British Airways Terraces Lounge, SFO - The drab entrance
British Airways Terraces Lounge, SFO - People, people, people
British Airways Terraces Lounge, SFO - The corridor that leads to the lounge
British Airways Terraces Lounge, SFO - The long staircase that leads downstairs to the lounge

British Airways Terraces Lounge, SFO San Francisco Airport Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Yuck, yuck and yuck! Full service carrier my backside! Feb 08, 2018
The trademark British Airways Terraces Lounge strikes again! And in true BA fashion, properly falls below the mark.

This was my first time visiting this lounge having visited other BA lounges around the world. I say this because I didn't walk in with stars in my eyes. The good thing with BA's premium experience (ground and air) is that it does a good job setting low expectations to the traveller!

BA flies double daily to SF, one on the 747 and the other a combination of A380 and 77W. Hence, they operate out of 2 different gates (one gate isn't A380 ready yet).

The lounge is easy to find, well signposted and right next to their departure gate. On entrance, you can take the lift or staircase going down (long staircase!) where you're greeted by a staff, and you enter the seating area.

The very experience of going down made me feel a bit suffocated...but the real shock was when I went to the main area. There's a narrow corridor that opens up into the seating area. It was so crowded it almost looked like those terminals where passengers delayed on a LCC flight are impatiently waiting to board! There wasn't a single place to sit, one had to really hunt out good spots. There's only one part of the lounge that has a view, which looks out to a desolate part of the terminal with a local Virgin America aircraft parked. Sadly, my photos don't show the extent of how crammed it was, and it was so suffocating I wanted to leave asap (which I did, and headed back to the Cathay Pacific Lounge).

The worst was the F&B: nothing hot on offer. The cold cuts were sandwiches that were near over and not getting replenished. The coffee machine wasn't working and it seemed impossible to find water. They kept running out of water glasses and wine glasses but the staff weren't replacing them on time. The biggest problem is - the staff were impossible to find, almost non-existent.

They knew they'd be scheduling the A380 for months in advance. They know of the premium calibre of customers that ply the SF route. And yet, they're still getting by with a lounge that would've looked really fancy in the 80s, or hell - the early 90s as well.

It struck me as I walked out of the lounge (back to the Cathay Pacific one - see review), I saw a family (travelling on Economy) walking past it and saying "oh, the lounge.... ooh those fancy travellers". Having been on this "side" of fancy, I can say BA just doesn't do fancy at all! I found the waiting areas in the terminal itself to be quieter and nicer than this excuse of a premium lounge.

I wrote about this last year when reviewing the Cathay Pacific lounge at Heathrow - what's most frustrating about this is that if BA wanted to improve the lounge experience, they don't need to hire fancy companies to conduct fancy research studies on user experience....BA simply needs to walk down the hallway and see how its peers Cathay Pacific, Qantas and Qatar Airways design their lounge experience. Very disappointing!

All in all, even for BA's lounge standards, this is a disgrace. I was very disappointed.

My tip for folks using this lounge - don't bother. If your frequent flier status or class of travel allows it, head instead to the 4th floor for Cathay Pacific's lounge (also located in the International Terminal A Gates).
The drab entrance
The drab entrance
The long staircase that leads down…
There's our A380 parked
vulindlela says:
Congrats on your feature!
Posted on: Feb 24, 2018
Congrats on your featured Review, although it wasn't a pleasant experience.
Posted on: Feb 24, 2018
cotton_foam says:
Posted on: Feb 13, 2018

Compare Millbrae Hotel Rates (2.5km away)

San Francisco Airport Map