Britannia Manchester Hotel

Check Manchester Hotel Deals

Britannia Manchester Hotel Reviews

slothtraveller slothtra…
One to avoid Jan 12, 2017
My stay at the Britannia Hotel in November 2013 was a memorable one but not for the best reasons. I ordered the hotel pretty much as a last resort as other accommodations had been snapped up and I had left booking quite late. On arriving at the hotel, I was impressed by its size and the palatial lobby area. Then things started to go downhill. Check-in was conducted by an unforthcoming receptionist who I could barely get two words out of. I found the lift and took it to the second floor, although I think I could have walked upstairs quicker as it was so slow. The corridors of this hotel smell quite strongly of cigarettes which left me wondering about the cleanliness of the rooms. Thankfully my room was cleaned to a good standard on arrival, although I stayed for two nights and the room was not serviced during this time. Odd.

The room itself was quite poorly designed. The TV was on a small stand which meant it was barely above floor level and you could not see the screen from in bed. I would have tried moving the TV but it was a huge, hefty thing which reminded me of the TVs that were around when colour television was first broadcast. The windows were not double glazed so all of the street noise from below could be heard. The taps in the sink were moving around in your hand when you used them. It was a relief that I would only be using the place to sleep and not be stuck inside the room all day. At least that was until I attempted to sleep. My first night (a Thursday) was not too bad and I got to sleep with only minimal disturbance from the street noise. Friday night, however, was a nightmare. Not only could I hear all the sirens and street noise that seemed close enough to be whizzing past my feet, I became acutely aware of the nightclub that shares the building with the hotel. It was blaring out music till 2 am sending shockwaves of bass through the floors and walls! When I did finally get to sleep, a fire alarm sounded for about five seconds before it abruptly stopped. It seems someone accidentally set it off and supposedly it happens regularly in this hotel at the weekend!

Checking out was also very strange. They advise you to leave your keycard in a box and you don't have to deal with a human being at all. All very impersonal and it left me with the impression that the management and staff didn't really care about my stay at all.

After two nights at the Britannia, I was pleased to leave and get back to my own bed. I will not be staying at this hotel again in a hurry and I am sure there are much better 3 star hotels in Manchester. There are probably better 1 star hotels!

The hotel is set in a wonderful Victorian building in the city centre. The location is ideal for visiting nearby areas such as Albert Square, Chinatown, Piccadilly Gardens and Canal Street, all of which are only a few minutes away on foot.

The hotel interior is also really impressive, especially the chandelier-adorned staircase which gives the impression that the hotel is much better than a 3-star property. It's just a shame that the rooms do not have the same impressive qualities and are a big letdown in comparison.

Address: 35 Portland Street, Manchester, Greater Manchester, M1 3LA, United Kingdom

Directions: Near to the Piccadilly Gardens tram stop.

Phone: +44 871 222 0017

Website: http://www.britanniahotels.com/hotels/manchester
Britannia Hotel Manchester
lightmoon lightmoon
Great Location for city centre Oct 22, 2012
I really loved the location, in the heart of Manchester!

The building is old fashion, and need some restorations. I was in the 4th floor and I could hear the people above me when they walking. The house keeping so annoying at morning when they knock the next doors. Even I ask for house keeping so early by using the mark on the door, I came back later and they still service other room and skip my room! I stayed for 7 nights as my booking was for executive double room they gave me poor room in the corner which was so small in compare with the next room was more big that made me disappointed, so I asked them to change it, and they checked for me and said sorry it's full. And the good thing I got complementary upgrade for superior room for the last 3 nights. Which was very nice and quiet big. by the way the elevator is so funny it needs some maintenance indeed.

Britannia Manchester Hotel Overview

The Britannia Hotel Manchester is nearby Manchester’s financial sector, as well as many of the high profile shopping areas and theaters in the city. Landmarks close by include Chinatown and The Village. The Britannia Hotel Manchester is located at Portland Street, Manchester M1 3LA in England, United Kingdom. It is about ten miles away from the international airport.

There are 363 rooms at the Britannia Hotel Manchester. All of these are nicely furnished and have traditional and intimate styles about them. Rooms at this hotel feature TVs, direct dial phones and intricate interiors.

The Britannia Hotel Manchester is actually a building that dates back to the year 1858, back when it was known as the Cash and Carry. Amenities include the on-site French restaurant Crompton's, which serves French dishes and a la carte meals. There is also a restaurant and bar establishment called Jenny’s, which serves lunch, dinner and breakfast. Other amenities include business or banqueting rooms that can hold 250 people. This is a three-star hotel.

Britannia Manchester Hotel Amenities

• Facsimile
  • Ballroom
  • Exhibit Space
  • Wheel Chair Access
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Towels