Britannia International Hotel

Britannia International Hotel Rates and Deals

Britannia International Hotel London Reviews

DAO DAO
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes Mar 06, 2017
Yes, smoke gets in your eyes....and your nose...and your clothes... Did I mention I think the Manager is a jerk as well? How about I wouldn't trust the staff as far as I could throw them (ideas spring to mind). Oh...and the beds are horrible to. I have stayed in dozens of bad hotels in London. This place ranks as my all time worst for several reasons. It wasn't just that they put me in a smoking room ­ they put me on a SMOKING FLOOR. A very large floor. And then they added insult to injury. Please read on. I have used Britannia Hotels in England and Scotland for years. Since the night in question I have refused to stay with them. Why? When I arrived I had used a website that defaults all reservations to NON SMOKING. I went to the desk and they acted very funny. They told me I was getting a larger room. When I asked in surprise "a larger room?" they said yes, but it was a smoking room. I told them no. They begged me to go up the elevator and have a look. They told me most of the rooms didn't smell like smoke. And even if they did smell bad, they could get someone up to open the windows and freshen the room. I reluctantly went up and I started to smell smoke even before the doors opened. When it did ­ Pow! I mean smoky. I had tears in my eyes trying to walk down the very long corridor. When I found the room it just smelled nasty. I went down and told them no way. That's when they became very nervous. One of them went to see 'the Manager'. She came back and said they didn't have any non­smoking rooms left. I asked to see the Manager and the young lady went to the back again. After a long wait I was told the Manager was not available. I was stuck. But I was offered 'room freshening'. As the windows are LOCKED, housekeeping came up and opened the windows to the winter air and sprayed the room. I was told to let it settle. I went for dinner and was gone 2 hours. After going back to the freezing room I rang to get the windows closed. They were closed and I was trapped with years of stale cigarette smoke covered over by bad air freshener. Years. and Years. And then I found the mattress was so bad it hurt my back. Between the discomfort and smell ­ you 4 more images I ADVISE YOU NOT TO STAY HERE !
german_eagle says:
Sounds like a nightmare. Good to know!
Posted on: Mar 07, 2017
slothtraveller says:
Sounds terrible. I would never stay with Britannia again after an awful experience in Manchester so you are not alone.
Posted on: Mar 06, 2017
sarahelaine sarahela…
Nice hotel- but it should have been great Mar 10, 2011
The Britannia International on Marsh Wall is perfectly adequate, bordering on nice.  My main criticism of it is that with very little extra thought on their part, it could be great.  Please bear in mind I was here on business rather than for fun, and as it’s a business hotel, I’m being fussier than I would be normally.

Location – the Britannia is in the heart of the Docklands, a vast, soul-less business district to the east of London’s centre.  It lies within the shadow of the Canary Wharf towers, so theoretically, should be easy by public transport.  It is half an hour from tourist-London by the Docklands Light Railway, making it more of a business hotel than a place for tourists, although it was full of French people when I was there.

The problem is that the Docklands was one of the last areas built before making things easy for pedestrians became fashionable, and is confusingly signposted.  The way googlemaps took me involved either carrying my suitcase down a flight of stairs or walking down a slip road and across a major roundabout.  Now, this isn’t the hotel’s fault.  What IS the hotel’s fault is that the receptionist couldn’t tell me the easiest way to the station. I got a shrug and “it depends where you want to go” before she turned away from me.  In a hotel that expensive, would it kill them to print a pedestrian map to the nearest two or three DLR stations?

Rooms – by London standards, these rooms are huge.  There are big windows, the bathrooms have baths, and the rooms were perfectly clean.  So I’d recommend them, as it happens.

But again – thoughtless poor details.  The art was dreadful – wishy washy soft focus prints of ladies from Ye Olde Days with their corsets undone.  Horribly old fashioned, and not a little sexist, whilst simultaneously being as arousing as porridge.  Given that the hotel can’t be older than the 1980s, they’ve deliberately chosen old fashioned crap sexist art.  Would it kill them to think “oh, some travellers are women!” and have pictures that are less awful?

Breakfast – breakfast was excellent and I can’t fault it.  Lots of it and nice staff, and it all seemed fresh.

I did feel sorry for the French travellers, because none of the staff spoke even basic French.  Now, I know you can’t expect that your language is spoken everywhere, but if you call yourself “Britannia International” perhaps some of your breakfast staff could learn the French/ German for tea, coffee, sugar and thank you?

Gym – they charge £2.50 for the gym for guests at the hotel and £10 for anyone else.  This is a business hotel – peak gym hours will be 7am-9am and again at about 8pm.  And they charge for it.  I had to wait ten minutes to pay because the girl was nowhere to be seen, and there was no bell to get her attention.  The spa bath hadn’t been filled yet, 2 out of 5 treadmills weren’t working, the other one wouldn’t change speeds properly, and although two members of staff had been in the ladies changing rooms no-one had replaced the bags you put your wet clothes in.  The steam room was cold.  Now, I know I’m being picky.  But if you know your peak hours will be before work (I was there 8am) and you’re charging anything for admission, in a hotel with night staff, why not train the night staff to turn on the steam room and fill the spa?  Why not put a bell on your counter and ask your staff to do things like change the bags in the changing room?

All in all, this hotel was fine, bordering on nice.  Big rooms, nice breakfast, reasonable value.  It’s just that with a few tiny changes that would be almost free, it could have been great, and I’m disappointed that they weren’t the hotel they clearly could have been.
All credit cards have a £2 charge…
bad art of semi naked chick.
sarahelaine says:
In fairness, I can't get the right dates from my phone. So they weren't both really on the same night.
Posted on: Mar 16, 2011
fransglobal says:
You're really sleeping around in London!
Posted on: Mar 16, 2011

Britannia International Hotel Overview

The International Hotel is situated on the water's edge next to Canary Wharf, London's Docklands internationally famous office development and home of many multi-national companies. The hotel is a modern glass building with fantastic panoramic views overlooking the London skyline. It is easy walking distance to South Quay Station taking you to major sightseeing spots around London. All 442 en-suite bedrooms are well appointed rooms and have modern facilities that include TV, Telephone, Trouser Press and Tea and Coffee making facilities. The elegant Crompton's restaurant is offering a delicious varied menu for any budget. Alternatively Jenny's bar and the Pizzeria have a wide range of Italian and Carvery dishes which are excellent value. The Conservatory Bar is ideal for that meeting place and has excellent views over the waterside. The hotel boasts 13 conference rooms in this well established hotel with rooms that accommodate up to 550 people and offer first class facilities for all events. Unwind in style at the Health and Leisure Club with the latest facilities and equipment. WIFI is free to all and available in all public areas of the hotel.

Britannia International Hotel Amenities

• Steam Room
  • Solarium
  • Steam Bath
  • Beauty Salon
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Towels