Bridges of Madison County

Winterset, Iowa

Bridges of Madison County Winterset Reviews

pearcetoyou pearceto…
The Bridges of Madison County May 15, 2011
I shamelessly admit that I have not seen the movie or read the book, but visiting the bridges of Madison County in person was somewhat charming, if not altogether nostalgic. Having a few covered bridges around the area where I grew up, the bridges in Iowa kindly reminded me of those childhood days. There are around 7 or 8 of these covered bridges, all in close proximity to Winterset, Iowa. Winterset is also the birthplace of John Wayne.

On our roadtrip to Minneapolis, Mark made plans for a quick tour of the bridges. We stopped at each bridge for a few photos, and at the first one I also left our TravBuddy mark, along with all the other graffiti scribbled on the walls. In ten years we'll go back and see if we can still find it!

In Winterset we ate at the Northside Cafe for lunch. Famous for the movie, a few other celebrities have also dined at this cafe including John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, and Oprah Winfrey. The walls are covered with autographed photos of John Wayne and other notable people who have visited. We didn't stop to visit the John Wayne museum but we did drive by it, as well as his boyhood home. Winterset also has a tourist info center with a nice little lady who will be happy to share brochures and everything she knows about Madison County. My favorite stop was not at the restaurant or at any of the bridges, but at the lookout tower of Madison County. It was built in the 1920's on the top of a hill and is about 30 feet in height, offering a nice view of the valley.

Seeing all the bridges and having lunch in Winterset took up about half a day. I wouldn't want to spend too much time in Madison County, but a half day of sightseeing was well worth it.
Light at the end of the tunnel!
Lacey007 says:
You made it here! I used to live about 45 mins away from Winterset!! haha
Posted on: May 17, 2011
LaBoricua LaBoricua
Bridges of Madison County Jul 19, 2010
Have you read the book "Bridges of Madison County"? Well, the bridges are real and they are in Iowa. There are six different bridges and each one of them has its own personality. When I went I felt as if I had traveled back in time. They are totally beautiful!
Imes Covered Bridge
Holliwell Covered Bridge
Cutler-Donahoe Bridge
Roseman Covered Bridge

Related Travel Blogs About Bridges of Madison County

Bridges of Madison County
I shamelessly admit that I have not seen the movie or read the book, but visiting the bridges of Madison County in person was somewhat charming, if not altogether nostalgic. Having a few covered brid…Madison County in person was somewhat charming, if not altogether nostalgic. Having a few covered bridges around the area where I grew up, the bridges in Iowa kindly reminded…

Check Winterset Hotel Deals