Brick Lane

Brick Lane, London, United Kingdom

Brick Lane London Reviews

joseph98 joseph98
Curry Heaven Oct 21, 2013
Arguably made even more famous by Monica Ali's novel of the same name, Brick Lane is a curry lover's paradise, which is why British people can be seen in their droves here - curry may as well be the national dish here, such is its popularity! As well as this, Brick Lane has a sprawling market and street food stalls that are almost enough to tempt you away from the restaurants...

A word of warning - there are touts outside almost every restaurant, so if you have an aversion to this, steer clear.
Photo courtesy of Steve Cadman
sylviandavid says:
What an interesting comment from gingerbatik... When we come to London we must check this area out. Thanks for posting this. sylvia
Posted on: Sep 26, 2013
joseph98 says:
Really? That's quite surprising. I can handle a Vindaloo, but not a Phaal. So I guess I should be OK in India then...
Posted on: Sep 24, 2013
gingerbatik says:
I actually wonder or more of a surprise that British can eat spicy more than Indian people (probably). Long ago I was at the Indian rest and I ask my curry to be spicy and the staff asked if I want British spicy or Indian spicy. It seems British spicy is way to spicy for me.
Posted on: Sep 24, 2013
Joey86 Joey86
A Taste Of India In East London May 23, 2011
Brick Lane, located in east London, it the place to go for a top notch curry and visiting on the weekend can only be described as ‘an experience’. Crammed with curry houses, the buzz and energy of this street is incredible and definitely something worth experiencing whilst in London, but it’s also a lot like battling your way down the main strip in Zante (only without the sunshine and with Indians instead or Greeks). Not that that’s a bad thing, it just might not be everyone’s cup of tea.

As a potential customer walking down Brick Lane you’re going to get accosted by at least 20 Indian men whose sole purpose in life is just to get you into their restaurant. Some are the definition of persistent, others are just plain irritating, but as a hungry, money-wielding citizen, you are the one with all the power. Mwahahaha! So get your bargaining hat on and see what you can blag yourself. The average deal is about £10 for a starter, mains, side and free drink, but if you’re willing to haggle then you can get a pretty sweet deal.

Friday and Saturday evenings are the busiest nights by far so be prepared to queue for the best restaurants - there’s no booking around here, you just have to rock up and see the vibes. Also be wary of the restaurants with no one in them - when there’s a queue around the corner for one restaurant and an empty one next door there's usually a reason for it!

Related Travel Blogs About Brick Lane

What's so great about British Food?
Round about the two month mark in any trip, people start asking me if I'm homesick yet.  I'm not.  But there are certain kinds of food that I start to miss.  And when I tell people thi…Brick Lane in London and the curry miles in most Northern cities are sources of amazingly good food.  Authentic…
London Day 1 - Markets, streets, Saachi Gallery and the brilliant Tate Modern
Gosh, I was in London again! I woke up that morning, a bit too late to go buy breakfast and eat at the hostel kitchen so after a quick cuppa, I started off early. I really didn't have a plan thi…London to find Brick Lane. But when you reach Brick Lane, for anyone, it's a statement of the globalisation…

Check London Hotel Deals