Brennivin

Reykjavik, Iceland

Brennivin Reykjavik Reviews

davejo davejo
try a shot of Brennivin Feb 03, 2017
As a visitor to Iceland i thought i should try the local drink which is called Brennivin, but i tend to stay away from spirits so it was not until the last night i ordered a shot.Brennivin means 'burning wine' so what was i about to get myself into. I drank it neat and the first sip did not appeal to me but i kept having sips and the taste grew on me, and in the end i decided it was not so bad, perhaps similar to Jagermeister. The national drink , Brennivin is a clear and unsweetened schnapps which is fermented with potato mash or grain while flavored with caraway. While drinking Brennivin the locals usually eat 'hakari', the vile fermented shark meat that i have wrote about in another tip.
SWFC_Fan says:
The Opal liqueur was very sweet - a cross between cough medicine and cola cube sweets. I usually stick to beer and wine too.
Posted on: Feb 05, 2017
davejo says:
Never heard of Opal Liquor. I am really a beer and wine man, very rarely drink spirits
Posted on: Feb 04, 2017
SWFC_Fan says:
We also tried shots of Brennivin during our stay in Reykjavik, as well as the very sweet Opal liqueur.
Posted on: Feb 04, 2017