Bratislava Christmas Market

City Hall Square, Bratislava, Slovakia

Bratislava Christmas Market Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Traditional Christmas Market Dec 17, 2012
I was in Vienna and decided to make a daytrip to Bratislava. It was only a 1:15 hour train ride away! Since I had never been there  before, I wanted to take a closer look at the old town. On the square in front of the city hall was the Christmas Market.

This was a small, but charming market. The stands offered gifts, sweets and food. I particularly liked that all  they offered were local products. Christmas markets in Luxembourg, Austria and Germany all seem to have the same food and the same Christmas ornaments. Several of the stands offered wooden toys, toys I remember buying in Hungary years ago.

As for food, I tried a "Ciganska Pecienka" (chicken in a bun). It was very thin and a bit too cooked. The Christmas punch was a little watery. I still can't decide wether it contained alcohol or not! It did warm a cold soul though! I also tried a lokše. This was a potato crêpe with chocolate inside and almonds on top, served warm (reheated in a microwave oven). It was harder and greasier than a French crepe, but not bad. You can also get a savory variety of the lokše.

The Christmas market, with its food and gifts, the old town and the people still have a Eastern European touch. It was very charming and I can recommend it if you are in the area. The Christmas Market is open between 25th November until the 23rd December from 10 am - 10 pm daily.
bigmac993 says:
Congratulations on your featured review, Sarah! :)
Posted on: Dec 23, 2012
ilserita says:
Congrats on your feature, Sarah!! :)
Posted on: Dec 22, 2012
halilee says:
Congrats on your feature review!! :D
Posted on: Dec 22, 2012