Rue de l'Aub├ępine 35, Beauraing, Belgium
Brasserie le Pelerin. - Site of the alleged Marian visitations.
Brasserie le Pelerin. - Literary quotations, no less

Brasserie le Pelerin. Beauraing Reviews

planxty planxty
I am not sure how I missed it before. Apr 17, 2017
On my last morning in Beauraing I was having a final walk round and made quite a remarkable discovery. For the average reader it will not seem of note but for those that know me it will come as a bit of a shock. I had been in town for three days and it is a fairly small settlement so it was with a little surprise that I came upon a bar I had neither visited nor even seen before called Brasserie le Pelerin which translates as Pilgrim's Brasserie. This is appropriate as Beauraing is the site of numerous Vatican ratified Marian visits in the 1930's and it was very close to this site, specifically the rather prosaic railway bridge pictured, where they occurred. I assure the reader that I would not normally include such an image in a review of a bar.

Having sighted the Brasserie, the next issue was to ascertain whether it was open - it was and to get in and see if they threw me out - they didn't. So far so good.

Even the smoking / al fresco terrace outside indicated that this was a fairly well-heeled establishment and that impression was confirmed on entering, le Pelerin really is pretty smart but this had been the case with all the bars in Beauraing and I was used to it by now. With it being pretty early on a chilly April Monday morning I was not at all surprised to find myself the only patron but that was OK as it afforded an opportunity for a bit of a chat with the server in my rudimentary French which I was getting, perhaps foolishly, increasingly confident in. They seemed to be quite happy to put up with that and did not continually revert to English which was obviously spoken. I liked that.

There is not really much to tell about the Brasserie as such, it is immaculately clean and tidy and with a comfortable but fairly minimalist modern decor which seems to be "de rigeur" in the area (get me with the French!). It is adjacent to what looks like it is a separate and even flashier restaurant where I had a quick scan of the menu whilst on smoking patrol outside. In fact, they are both the same establishment and share a kitchen which means you can get a meal in the Brasserie part from the same chef at a fraction of the price of the restaurant section although it is still not cheap.

It almost goes without saying that the beer was well-kept and served as the Belgians, in my opinion, have the best beer in the world despite protestations to the contrary from my French, Dutch, Danish, Irish, English etc. etc. friends and so obviously more than one was called for.

This is a fine bar and I have no hesitation in recommending it.
Literary quotations, no less
planxty says:
You'll be fine, very friendly in there, I love Belgian bars.
Posted on: Nov 28, 2017
BASAIC says:
Hope they would not throw me out either.
Posted on: Nov 27, 2017