Brasserie le Nord

18 Rue Neuve, Lyon, France

Brasserie le Nord Lyon Reviews

schoggichind schoggic…
Delicious food and wine for a reasonable price May 01, 2010
A teacher at my language school recommended this restaurant which is one of Paul Bocuse's 4 Brasseries (Le Nord, Le Sud, L'Est and L'Ouest) in Lyon. Paul Bocuse is a well-known chef not only in France but in the entire world. He's a local of Lyon and is also the founder of a cooking school and the author of several cookbooks.

Food/Price:

I liked the restaurant so much, that I went twice in one week. They serve food in a Paul Bocuse quality, but at a reasonable price, so the average person can afford it. Of course you will find typical French cuisine, but you don't have to stick with snails and brain (a specialty of Lyon) as there is plenty to choose from. The food is very nicely presented and tastes absolutely fantastic. A waiter will fillet your fish right at your table. As in every restaurant in France, bread and water are served for free with every meal. Additionally, they will serve you black olives as an appetizer.

Staff:

Very friendly and patient (I usually take a while to choose from the menu). When the waitress noticed that we were speaking a foreign language, she was very interested and asked some questions, but wasn't pushy. A nice and friendly little chat. Very competent when being asked about wine. The staff was usually quick and obliging except for one lady who took forever to notice that we wanted to pay. But that was the only flaw.

Ambiance/Interior:

Not too crowded, convenient lighting. Can't remember if music was played, but it was quiet enough so we could talk to each other in "normal voices". Nice tableware including high quality wine glasses.

Location:

Right in the city center which makes it well accessible by public transports, but not by car. As it is located in a side street, you won't find a nice view, but neither will you have to look at a dirty street or a homeless person sitting outside. Some bars are nearby if you want to have a glass or two after dinner.

Other:

No reservation required, but expect to be waiting up to 15min to get a table, if you arrive around 8:30/9pm. Best arrive around 7/7:30pm. No need to dress fancy, but I wouldn't show up with shorts, tank top and flipflops either. Can't say anything about the restrooms.

My menu:

(1) Onion soup - Veal escalope (Wienerschnitzel) with pasta gratin à la Lyonnaise

(2) Salad with green beans, artichoke hearts, tomatoes and small asparagus - Chicken breast with a cream mushroom sauce and rice

I didn't have any dessert, but from what I saw at our neighbour's table it looked amazing. The photo shows my boyfriend's meal. Once again, my food was absolutely delicious. We also had great wine and I had my usual Kir as an appetizer. ;-)

Enjoy!
Beef, cooked "saignant" (rare)

Check Lyon Hotel Deals