Brasserie du Centenaire

17 Route d'Esch, Bettembourg, Luxembourg

Brasserie du Centenaire Bettembourg Reviews

planxty planxty
Brasserie du Centenaire Apr 24, 2017
Yes, I like a drink now and again. And again, and again................. The upshot of this is that I visit a lot of bars, an awful lot of bars. I reckon that during the three and a half months that this journal refers to I visited literally hundreds and I promise I shall get round to reviewing as many of them as I can remember in due course. They were almost uniformly perfectly acceptable and I could probably count on the fingers of one hand the establishments I did not like. Sometimes, however, you come across a complete gem and often in the most unlikely of places and this was exactly the case with the Cafe du Centenaire in Bettembourg, which is the most wonderful of bars on so many levels.

I had visited three parks, the War Memorial, the "big church" and seen the Castle and I was getting a bit thirsty so I walked briskly along to the Centenaire which I had "marked" earlier as being a likely looking spot. In truth, there was not that huge a choice as it was a Monday lunchtime in April and many businesses in this region tend to shut on a Monday. In a town with a population of less than ten thousand souls I doubt it would have been economically viable to open all the bars anyway. Externally it is of indeterminate age but of an architectural style very typical of the region. It is very tidy and has a good sized al fresco drinking / smoking area to the front which affords an eye-catching view of the "big church" I mentioned which stands just across the street. In I went and I should mention that there are several steps up to the front door which may present difficulties for the mobility impaired as I do not know if there is step free access to the rear. I do like to mention mobility issues when I can.

The bar was very tidy and just slightly old-fashioned with a few old framed paintings on the walls. Unsurprisingly, there was only one other customer there, a little old lady with her small aperitif and equally small lapdog sitting obediently under her seat. After exchanging a civil greeting I spoke to the barmaid who either did not speak much English or was doing me the courtesy of humouring my French which was still not good but was coming along quicker than I would have thought possible. I ordered a large Bofferding beer which is brewed less than ten miles away and I do like consuming local produce so that suited nicely. It was a little cheaper than Luxembourg City which I suppose is to be expected and was kept and served in great order as I had come to expect in the region.

Unusually for me I was a bit hungry which I can only ascribe to the fresh air and the walking but I only wanted a snack and selected a hot dog from the reasonably comprehensive bar snack menu of panini, burgers, pizza, the obligatory croque monsieur (a cheese and ham toasted sandwich which they love hereabouts) and so on. It was very tasty, inexpensive at about €4 and just what was needed as a "beer soaker".

After a couple more beers I decided it was time for a wander down to the far end of the bar for a look round as I had seen what looked like a pleasant lounge area there and also noticed that it appeared to go round to the right out of my eyeline. I fancied capturing an image or two in anticipation of this tip. Well, what a find. It was like the resident's lounge of a posh fin de siecle hotel with a candelabra, leather Chesterfield furniture, the whole Hollywood set. It was wonderful and I hope the images do it justice.

I wasn't going to move anywhere so I returned to the bar to continue my conversation and the next thing I knew was hearing a call of "Ah, Monsieur, vous-etes ici" or something of that nature which could only have been addressed to me as I was the sole male in there. I turned to see the man mountain that is the local street sweeper who I had passed the time of day with in the churchyard earlier on and who was still togged out in his bright orange overalls. Even if I had been inclined to go elsewhere I was soon disabused of that notion as there was quickly another beer in front of me that he had apparently bought. Well, one thing led to another as it does and if I had not been just compos mentis enough to know I had to get to France that evening I might well have been there yet. Fond farewells were bid and I made a promise to return if I was ever in the area again. I shall certainly honour that promise.

I know I regularly tend to wax lyrical about bars but I just cannot speak highly enough of the Cefe du Centenaire, it really is something special.
A fine start to lunch.
This guy came in later on.
A fine selection.