Brasserie de Sierkan

sierkan.nl - +31 70 778 0203

Brasserie de Sierkan The Hague Reviews

planxty planxty
I learned a new, if useless, Dutch word! Apr 08, 2017
On my first proper morning 's wander round Den Haag it was getting on for "beer o'clock" which in my case simply means I was awake! I had just visited the wonderful Church of St. Ignatius of Loyola which is the subject of a separate review here and was heading vaguely in the direction of the centre of town when I spied De Sierkan bar / restaurant so it was straight into what was a totally empty bar despite it being almost lunchtime.

I was greeted by the delightful lady you can see in the images who turned out to be called Anna and was the chef / patron of the establishment. Thankfully, it also turned out that she spoke perfect English as most Dutch people do. A beer was called for which came up well-kept and well-served and I set about it whilst having a great conversation with my hostess. In truth it was a three way conversation as the chef in the semi-open kitchen was also joining in and what an interesting chap he turned out to be.

I have mentioned elsewhere in this journal that I love to cook and so a conversation with a professional chef was much appreciated with him being kind enough to give me some tips. The smell of baking emanating from the kitchen was mouth-watering in the extreme and resulted in the cakes you can see cooling in one of the images. It was to be topped beautifully later and it appears they make just about everything on the premises. Although I did not eat there myself, the food I saw served did look very good.

Interesting as the culinary conversation was, it was not the best part. Almost inevitably with me the talk got round to music and it transpired that chef was a semi-pro jazz guitarist and the talk turned to guitars, strings, plecs and all the things that guiarists bore other people with by talking about together. He told me that his father had been a professional jazz guitarist of some note in Holland and that all the original members of the band Focus had hung out at his home when he was a boy. I have been a huge fan of Focus since the 1970's and when he told me that Jan Akkerman who is a long time guitar hero of mine had given him lessons as a boy I was very jealous indeed.

At one point Anna took off in the funky little sports car you see included in the images which looks like it should probably be 1960's Italian but is actually much more modern and Japanese. I know a lady in London that has one of these Figaros and I have always liked them.

With such good company, pleasant surroundings and excellent beer, one soon led to another, and another and so on and it was a slightly wobbly planxty that eventually wended his somewhat unstable way home, resolved to return the next day which I did. Chef was not there but Anna was augmented by a charming young waitress who similarly provided great company and conversation.

If you are wondering about the slightly cryptic title of this review I enquired if Sierkan meant anything or was just a name and I was informed that it was the Dutch for milk churn which is appropriate as the bar is situated in what was formerly a dairy before moving to more modern premises. Now I just have to figure out how to work the word into a conversation with my Dutch friends!

Continuing the dairy theme, do take the time to look up and check out the wonderful chandaliers with small milk bottles in place of the traditional glass, they really are very clever.

This really is an excellent little bar / restaurant and I do recommend it highly.
De Sierkan cafe, Den Haag.
Milk bottle chandalier, De Sierkan…
planxty says:
Sarah,

chacun a son gout as they say in this part of the world.

Got to head South as it is still bloody freezing here and also have to get a lundrette urgent. Four days clothes in a tiny (broken-handled) suitcase don't go far over a few weeks and it is becoming critical.

My word but Luxembourg is expensive but they do hgace very good beer!
Toonsarah says:
I'd go for Sylvia over Hocus Pocus myself!
planxty says:
Probably my favourite track of theirs although Sylvia runs it close. I can even sing it in the written key, yodels and all!

Check The Hague Hotel Deals