Brasserie at The Cuillin Hills Hotel

Cuillin Hills Hotel, Portree, United Kingdom

Brasserie at The Cuillin Hills Hotel Portree Reviews

TRE69 TRE69
Casual Dining at Portree's Only 4 Star Hotel Dec 29, 2007
Brasserie is The Cuillin Hills Hotel's offering for relaxed and casual dining in the town of Portree on the Isle of Skye.

My cousin and I were directed here by the Bosville Hotel receptionist because their restaurant was fully booked for the evening. While we had a bit of a difficult time finding the hotel on foot and in the dark, we finaly found it with the aid of a local.

The hotel and restaurant's remoteness, just over a mile from Portree's center, allows for an unobstructed panoramic view of the Sound of Raasay and Portree Harbor...which would be a perfect spot for lunch or an early dinner at sunset. However, in our case, the view was complete darkness.

Since we were early for dinner service, we ordered a drink from the bar then walked through the drawing room with its roaring fire. About 15 minutes later, we had our choice of seating in the main dining area which is actually the sunroom. I thought Mar and I would be the only ones eating dinner tonight but during the course of our meal a party of 4 and two couples also ended up have dinner. I think my cousin and I were the only out-of-towners.

Mar and I ordered soups because we had been wandering the neighborhood in the cold trying to find this place. She had the tomato basil soup while I had the Cullen Skink. The name of the soup is not very appetizing but in actuality, it was very rich and satisfying with the flavor and meat of smoked haddock.

For the entree Mar and I ordered the only item on the menu that had haggis which was the roasted chicken. I had never had haggis before and I don't eat a lot of lamb products so this was definitely going to be an experience.

I was expecting the haggis to be like a scoop of mush on my plate. However, it was in a cake like form, lightly coated and fried so the outsides were crisp while the inside was warm and gooey haggis. It was surprisingly delicious and the whisky cream sauce made it fantastic. I liked it more than the roasted chicken!

After a long day, I wanted to treat myself to something sweet so I ordered the warm chocolate cake for dessert. It was an excellent ending to a fine meal.

The service was excellent though a bit slow, probably due to low tourist season for the area. Fortunately it allowed us to leisurely enjoy our meal. The lighting in the main dining area was a bit dim. It could be mood lighting but I had to strain my eyes to read the menu. Despite these slight flaws, I would wholeheartedly eat at Brasserie again the next time I visit the Isle of Skye.

My rating of Highly Recommended is because the food was very yummy and the atmosphere and views would be picture perfect for lunch or sunset dinner.
Ginger ale and a pint of beer
The bar
The main dining area of Brasserie
Tomato basil soup and Cullen Skink…

Check Portree Hotel Deals