Berlin, Germany

Brandenburger Tor Berlin Reviews

slothtraveller slothtra…
Unmissable photo opportunity! Jan 31, 2017
This grand entrance to the city on Pariser Platz certainly attracts the crowds. The Brandenburg Gate stands as an iconic monument to German reunification and therefore is a great source of national pride. The gate was constructed by Carl Gotthard Langhans between 1788 and 1791 for the Prussian monarch Friedrich Wilhelm II. It was built to symbolise peace. Ironically, following World War Two, it became neglected and was flanked by the Berlin Wall. The fall of the wall in 1989 made the Brandenburg Gate a feature of the united Berlin and restoration of the gate followed in 2000-2002. The most noticeable feature of the gate is the Quadriga, a statue of a four-horse chariot driven by the goddess of peace that was briefly removed to Paris by the French army under Napoleon. Fortunately after Napoleon's defeat, it made its way back to Berlin. I found the Brandenburg Gate a fascinating sight and the Quadriga is really amazing. The square in front of the gate is always really busy with lots of street entertainers throughout the day making for a great atmosphere.

Address: Pariser Platz, Berlin-Mitte

Directions: Walk down Unter den Linden right to the end. You can hardly miss it!
Quadriga
tj1777 tj1777
Brandenburger Tor Sep 17, 2012
Brandenburger Tor is one of the old city gates to Berlin. The current version of the gate was build to impress the people coming to the city. Brandenburger Tor is probably the best known structure in Berlin - with the possible exception of the remains of the Berlin Wall.

The gate is located in the centre of Berlin and during World War II there were heavy fighting’s around the gate which were damaged during these fights. After the war Brandenburger Tor were located just at the border between the eastern and western part of the city. Because of the location just behind the wall in the eastern sector only soldiers in the East German and Soviet armies were able to come close to the gate for almost thirty years.

But the gate was often in the background when historic events took place in Berlin during the cold war. Back in 1963 Kennedy visited the Gate. Later in 1987 Ronald Reagan gave his famous speech in front of the Brandenburger Tor - it was in this speech he said: “Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!”

Just over two years later the wall came down and once more pictures of people at the wall with the Brandenburger Tor in the background when all over the world.

Today the gate is once again at the centre of a united Berlin. It is the natural place to start to explore the central part of Berlin. From the gate you can either start walking down Unter den Linden or head over to the parliament or into the big park Tiergarten.
Brandenburger Tor from Tiergarten
Hanging down at the gate
Details on the gate
Bojasem Bojasem
great moment May 26, 2012
I like history and ancient building , Came to Berlin and visit Brandenburger Tor see and read history of Germany.

thhis is a former city gate, rebuilt in the late 18th century as aneoclassical triumphal arch, and now one of the most well-known landmarks of Berlin and Germany. It is located west of the city centre at the junction of Unter den Linden and Ebertstraße.

relay fabulos gate & it free walking area .

i advise you came at night becuase the view will be more beautiful.
FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
Iconic Landmark of Berlin Dec 12, 2011
When I decided that I was going to Germany, I knew I must go to Berlin and I decided in my must-see list will definitely include The Brandenburg Gate.

Situated at the west of the city centre at the junction of Unter den Linden and west of Pariser Platz.

The gate was designed based on the Proplaea which explains why its so Greek looking. Very classic design I would think by architectural standard.

I am very glad that the gate was restored after the war and the Quadriga which is the structure on top of the gate (the chariot with 4 horses & Victoria - the Roman goddess of Victory) were re-instated. The gate will look incomplete without it!

True to the pictures I have seen over the internet, this gate is truly majestic and iconic which is why theres always tourists around it trying to snap pictures. I think its quite impossible to snap a picture of myself without having other tourists in it!

Theres a Mickey Mouse and 3 soldiers character all carrying the German flag if you want to take picture with them. I am not sure whether we have to pay to get our picture taken with them.

I came here 2 times, in the day & again at night in order to get both day & night shots.

Very happy to have seen it :)
AggieRockStar AggieRoc…
Quick Tourist stop Apr 07, 2011
Although impressive, there's no need to spend an ample amount of time here. It is an great site to behold for the few minutes it takes to get your pictures.

Photo tip: Make sure to go in the morning for optimal pictures when the sun is not blaring behind the gate.

If you are in Berlin this is a "must see" and near several other tourist attractions.
ejstravels ejstrave…
Brandenburg Gate Apr 07, 2009
Just a nice thing to get to see. But not something you need to spend too much time on.

Related Travel Blogs About Brandenburger Tor

Day 1 - Berlin
Pheeew…. Money had been paid for my Bus tour and finally the day came much sooner than I expected to. I had waited for this day for the whole and finally it was here!! The Bus picked us up in…Perfect start. We saw the remains of the Berlin Wall and the Brandenburger Tor,  and the Holocaust memorial.  …
Day 1 - Berlin
Weekend trip to Berlin
Friday morning me and my friend Tobias started a weekend trip to Berlin.We went there by train and 7 hours later we were arriving in Berlin Spandau.This day we visited Spandau - actually not visiting…Berlin, where we were visiting the Reichstag and some other places like the Brandenburger Tor and so on. I have…

Check Berlin Hotel Deals