Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel of NY

Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel of NY Rates and Deals

Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel of NY New York Reviews

debcon debcon
I'd feel less dirty staying in manure. Mar 13, 2013
I stayed here at the end of October 2012 with my travbuddy Helly. We were doing a tour of the USA and had decided to go to New york at the last minute. We chose this hostel because it was cheap and pretty central. We got what we paid for! When we went to our "room" we didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Basically it's like a big warehouse floor with wendy houses to sleep in and no roofs so you can hear everything. The "bathrooms" are on the same floor, three or four toilets, a few sinks and a couple of gross showers and again without roofs.

What didn't help was the fact we got there a couple of days before finding out hurricane Sandy was due. So other than the filth we spent the week firstly being scared followed by all electricity being cut off and of course no hot water or heating which kinda sucks in November. We slept with all our clothes on and had the company of lot's of bedbugs. Never again!
Nustian Nustian
Excellent location, Ideal for Backpackers and Travelers which are flexible to comfort Nov 29, 2013
I stayed two nights in this place 23-24 October 2013. The front desk guys were very friendly and helpful. WIFI worked fine, coverage in the room as well, no disconnection issues. The wending machine at reception worked fine. The location is very good. The place is two blocks away from the subway, bars, restaurants and shops are nearby. For $ 45 a night, it is a pretty good option for travelers with tight budget and who are looking to travel and explore more rather than comfort.

The lighting issue as mentioned by the other reviewers is a concern, besides its a one ceiling and all the rooms are separated by a drywall partition. So you may expect to hear people talk / snore while you're sleeping.
Entrance to Room # 239 - Where i s…
Wending Machine at the entrance, w…
genetravelling genetrav…
Worst Hostel Ever Jun 12, 2008
I'm a tight ass when it comes to accomodation. Having camped so many times in the outback I just cant bring myself to pay for what is ultimately just a place to sleep. Going to NYC was always gonna be a challenge. I wanted somewhere central, and I wanted a nice hostel.

I got central!

But apart from that. This hostel was the worst I've ever seen.

To start with - it calls itself a hotel but it really isnt. Each floor is basically one big massive room filled with beds. Then, very thin ply partitions are placed around each bed. The partitions dont even go to the roof so you can theoretically see over and into the next 'room' if you really want. As such, noise is also a problem and you can hear everyone else in the place. The bathroom facilities were appalling, lighting was really poor. The place was full of bugs, filthy and the a/c hardly worked. I got bad bed bug bites every night. The internet didnt work and neither did the ATM all the time. The staff were actually ok and I really felt sorry for them.

This hostel/hotel doesnt really just cater to travellers. It also seemed to have a reasonable amount of permanent residents and they were a sorry bunch of people. One guy in a wheel chair. The others look like they have mental disorders to go with their physical disabilities. It was quite depressing, sad, scary and awful.

If you are a total tight ass and dont care. maybe this is for you. the location is central, but not necessarly in a good spot.

I wouldnt stay here again.
debcon says:
Just stayed there and was stuck there for hurricane Sandy, it's even worse with no electric or hot water etc ewwwww.
Posted on: Nov 18, 2012
ctjevans says:
OMG, this place sounds horrible! every review I've read about it has been scathing. LOL. the management has posted replies to some stating that they've done $100k in renovations since December of 2010, but I'm still reluctant after all the negative reviews referring to bugs and permanent patients... I mean "guests." thanks for the warning.
Posted on: Apr 18, 2011
PrissyT says:
you should have gone to a Motel 6 or something! Wow! GROSS!
Posted on: Jul 24, 2008