Boudin Sourdough Bakery & Cafe

132 Hawthorne Street, San Francisco, CA, USA

Boudin Sourdough Bakery & Cafe San Francisco Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Boudin's at the Wharf May 22, 2009
I had an unbelievable chilli in a bread bowl at Boudin. It is known for the famous Clam Chowder, but I decided to try the chilli which I must say was incredible. Boudin makes the original Sourdough French bread that was famous in the earlier gold rush days. The culinary impact has lasted over a century and it seems the popularity is only getting better. If find yourself walking on the streets near Fisherman's Wharf, stop by Boudin's. They make fresh sourdough bread there daily. Highly recommended, no regrets.

Boudin at the Wharf has an up and down stair floor. The downstairs is a cafeteria type setting, while the upstairs offers more of a restaurant type experience. Joe and I ate down stairs only. We had a bit of a wait for a table. I stood by a group of three so I could take up their seating as soon as they were done. Joe brought I the order. If you are there with more than one person, I recommend having someone stake out a table and someone going to get the food, otherwise it is way too busy to expect empty seats.

Details:

Boudin Sourdough Bakery & Cafe
Fresh bread
X_Drive X_Drive
Jan 11, 2008
When you are in San Francisco on a visit, you’ll probably find yourself sooner or later down along the Fisherman’s Wharf area. And if you haven’t eaten in the last half hour or so you’ll just have to stop in at Boudin Sourdough Bakery and Café. They have been here since 1849 making the best sourdough bread around. Now days you will get a chance to eat in the Bakery and Café in Baker’s Hall downstairs or the full service restaurant upstairs. There is even a Bistro bar.

We ate downstairs where they have a large array of items from soups and chowder served in sourdough bowls to sandwiches and salads and even pizzas and beverages.

Also, you can buy regular loaves or specialty loaves of their famous bread. They make some very interesting loaf designs, like crabs and alligators. You could spend an entire afternoon browsing the gift shop area.

There is a museum and a bakery tour you can take for a small fee and a demonstration bakery where you can watch the bakers make some of the unusual loaf designs.

Of course they have locations all over the area and have even started opening locations in other areas but their flagship location at the Wharf takes the cake. It's worth looking up.
Clam Chowder in a sourdough bowl.
Africancrab says:
I loved this place. Thanks for the recommendation :)
mellemel8 says:
i agree i love this place :)
Posted on: Jan 17, 2008
jenn79 says:
I LOVE this place!
Posted on: Jan 17, 2008
Hummingbird Hummingb…
Clam Chowder Sour Dough Bowl Oct 15, 2008
Last December when we were in San Francisco for the TB Meetup we took the time to stroll Fisherman’s Wharf and stopped in here to have lunch. This place has been around for a hundred and fifty years selling their famous Sourdough Bread. Now you can get a small loaf scooped out and filled with wonderful clam chowder. It makes a terrific warmer on a cold day. There is also a store to purchase bread and souvenirs and even a museum. Make sure the next time you are in San Francisco you stop in and enjoy a real treat. And if you miss this location they have lots of other locations all around the SF area, so no excuses.
Africancrab says:
I loved it at the Boudin at the Wharf. First place we went on arrival. I did not however order the Clam Chowder, I tried the Chilli which was awesome!
stevenguyen stevengu…
Sep 15, 2006
First of all, this is my first visit to the Bistro Boudin at the Fisherman's Wharf. I have to say that waking up early in the morning really does get you in the mood for some clam chowder in a breadbowl. It's basically what I've been craving ever since I arrived at San Francisco. If there was evera more convenient location to get clam chowder in a sourdough breadbowl close to where we were staying, this is the place.

Gotta say that we loved the crab chowder. I ordered the bowl ($6) because it wasdelicious! We managed to scoop up the remains of whatever change we had in our pockets and get a big enough breadbowl for me and my girlfriend to share.

I would strongly recommend that any of you guys that are in the area next time get a clam chowder breadbowl from the wharf, either at the Crab Station or here. It's a good quick fix, but only if you guys have enough extra money to spend on souvenirs. But to sum it up in asentence- "It was the bestclam chowder I've ever had in California."
This is an image of Boudin's Baker…
Africancrab says:
Of course we care, that is why we review. Chains are just Franchises that is why sometimes one location is better than the other. For instance, not every McDonald is the same even though they technically should be.
kchong says:
boudin is a chain and is everywhere. i don't know if anyone cares though
Posted on: Oct 30, 2006