Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum

306 Congress Street, Boston, MA, USA
www.bostonteapartyship.com - 617-338-1773 or 1-855-TEA-1773
Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum - The calm before the storm
Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum - Abigail's Tea Room
Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum - Let's toss some tea!
Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum - Kids throwing tea in the harbor!
Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum - And so the advanture begins...
Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum - In the Captain's Quarters
Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum - Abigail's Tea Room

Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum Reviews

dl15 dl15
Truly a Fun Experience and Educational! Nov 17, 2015
This was by far the best historic exhibit I've been to in Boston. During our trip, we visited all the major attractions (Freedom Trail, State House, etc) and this one blew them all away. There was great vision and a lot of effort put into this museum. It is certainly well worth it. It's very hands-on and interactive - you play the role of someone who actually participated in the Tea Party. The actors were incredible. The ship that you board (located on Fort Point Channel) is a phenomenal replica of one of the actual ships. And you get to "throw" tea into the harbor - our kids loved this. You have holographic videos and another film, each about 10 minutes long, discussing events that occurred. It took about an hour and 15 minutes to do the museum. If you're a history buff with kids, this place is for you!
Kids throwing tea in the harbor!
jenniescharm jenniesc…
Lively tour of Boston's famous tea party Apr 26, 2014
For a lively tour through one of America’s most history-changing moments, check out the Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum. One of Boston’s newest Revolutionary War attractions, it’s something I have wanted to visit for a while now. I finally got my chance on a rainy April morning.

The tour starts with a rousing rally in which patriots (a.k.a. visitors) hear from the likes Samuel Adams and Sally Hughes. Decrying the treatment of Boston by King George, patriots are encouraged to hiss and huzzah. Everyone is given a card with information on someone who was present at the tossing of the tea. I was David Kinnison, a member of a secret political group from Maine who lived to be 115. (Yes, you read that right – 115!)

From there, the crowd – or rabble, depending on if you’re a Patriot or a Tory – makes its way to the ship. Another patriot shares a little more of the story before patriots/visitors toss the tea (or in this case replica boxes wrapped in fabric) overboard. The “tea chests” are attached to the ship, so everyone has a chance to toss some tea. We got to go below deck before heading back indoors to the museum.

The museum tour starts with a state-of-the-art “performance” by two 3D projections of Boston residents, one a supporter of the rebellion and the other loyal to the King. After hearing so much about the big names like Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, and John Hancock, I appreciated the opportunity to hear from regular everyday citizens.

The next stop in the museum features one of only two surviving tea chests from that fateful night. Found by a 15-year-old boy along the shore, the tea chest was handed down from generation to generation before finding its way to the museum. Hard to believe that such a simple box could survive being hacked open and tossed about in the water. It even served as a toy chest at one point in its 200+ year journey. From the very old to the very new, this stop on the tour also includes an exchange between King George and Samuel Adams held by computer generated talking portraits. Better than some of the movies I’ve seen lately, the conversation is based on diaries and letters written by both men.

The last stop on the tour is a movie covering Paul Revere’s ride and the battle at Lexington. It closes with the first verse of “My Country ‘tis of Thee” Feel free to sing along as others on my tour did.

We ended at Abigail’s Tea Room. I’m not a tea drinker, so I limited myself to a tasty blueberry scone. The room looked nice and airy with a fireplace burning in the background.

The entire tour is lively and keeps you moving through history. This isn’t a “sit down & listen along” tour – you do need to be somewhat mobile to enjoy the full experience. And what an experience it is. I most likely won’t be back because of the price – unless one of my friend’s really wants to go – but I am definitely happy that I finally made it to the Boston Tea Party Ship & Museum.

Details:

*Tickets are $25 for adults or $22.50 if purchased online. MA residents can take advantage of a buy one/get one free offer on a full-price in-person ticket if they sign-up for a free hometown pass. Discount combo tickets to the Tea Party Ship & Old South Meeting House are also available. Details are on the website.

*Offered daily, tours last about one hour and depart every 30 minutes. The first one is at 10:00 AM and the last at 5:00 PM

*The museum is an easy 5 minute walk from South Station on Boston’s T (subway) system. Can’t speak to parking as I didn’t drive, but the website has parking info with discounts available at area garages.

*Gift shop is open 9:00AM-6:00PM. Abigail’s Tea Room is open 9:00AM-5:00PM.
The calm before the storm
And so the advanture begins...
Let's toss some tea!
In the Captain's Quarters
victorian67 says:
I have thoruoghly enjoyed reading this travel experience since I would love to visit it one day too..;

Your travel writing is fresh and very lively !

Enjoy your travels !