Boston Pizza

604 Main Street SW, Slave Lake, Canada

Boston Pizza Slave Lake Reviews

planxty planxty
Another in a great chain Mar 07, 2017
On a recent roadtrip in Alberta in August 2016 my friend Lynne, her sister and six year old niece had arranged go for a meal in Boston Pizza in Slave Lake before going our separate ways.

For the benefit of readers who have not heard of it, Boston Pizza is a long established chain of restaurant / bars across Canada and, in truth, when you are in one it is hard to remember which town you are in as they are all more or less identical. That said, they are uniformly good and I have never had anything approaching a negative experience in one.

Although I normally cook in our campervan I have eaten in these establishments a few times and the food is consistently good. Normally I am just there for the purposes of drinking beer and this is also a routinely pleasant experience.

The standard layout of a BP outlet is to have a restaurant area and what they call a sports bar although both food and drink are available in both areas, it is just a matter of where you like to sit really. As we had the little one with us we opted for the restaurant area as I don't believe children are allowed in the sports bar.

We were attended on promptly by a charming young lady and my companions placed their order which was two bowls of French onion soup, a chicken quesidilla to share and the little one plumped for the kids mini pizza which was served with some julienned raw vegetables (good for health reasons obviously) and a little tub of ranch dressing (possibly not so good for the health of a child!). She also got a colouring in book with crayons which kept her blissfully quiet throughout the meal. Nice thinking, folks.

I rarely eat during the hours of daylight and so I opted instead for a large glass or Rickard's Red ale which was served beautifully cold and obviously well-kept. There is little danger of getting a less than perfect pint in a BP bar.

The food arrived promptly and I sampled a little of Lynne's soup which was excellent as was the quesidilla which was well-loaded with cheese. I even had a morsel of the little one's pepperoni pizza (she doesn't like the crusts) and that was very tasty too!

As a side issue I should mention that this venue seems popular with bikers although readers who have some trepidation about that particular community need have no fear. I had noticed a couple of beautiful Harley Davidsons outside as we entered and when I was outside having a smoke later got to talk to the riders, lovely blokes. Later on I had the pleasure of chatting to another Harley rider who gave me some great travel advice about British Columbia. I stress that BPs is not a "bikers bar" in the accepted sense of the term although those who prefer two wheels to four are made very welcome.

There is little more I can tell you about this establishment. BPs are what they are and they are rather good at it. Clean, tidy, excellent service, good food, well-kept beer, what more could you ask for?

Certainly it is not overly flash nor probaly a place to take a first date to impress him or her but it is consistently and reliably good and, having visited Canada several times now, it is the one chain I will seek out in any town on the principle that they have not let me down yet.As the title of this review suggests, the Slave Lake outlet was exactly par for the course.

Highly recommended