Border Crossing - Hat Lek/Cham Yeam

Koh Kong, Cambodia

Border Crossing - Hat Lek/Cham Yeam Koh Kong Reviews

saracha saracha
May 25, 2007
When you cross the border into Cambodia at the Hat Lek/Cham Yeam checkpoint, expect to pay almost double the cost for your visa. I thought that 1000 baht was the going "rate" to be issued a visa to get back into Cambodia, be we were asked to pay 1200 baht. What did I do? I paid it. Now, I'm not saying that everyone will go through this but I suggest you pay the money and get out of there as soon as you can.

I've heard about some people making a fuss and only offering to pay the $20 USD. If you plan to do this be very careful! You may be lucky and they make you wait for 3+ hours, or you might not be so lucky and they deny you entry into Cambodia. It's not right, but this is how it works in Cambodia and the border officials have the authority to get away with things like this.

Also, don't think that if you don't have the money they will let you off with paying the $20 USD. A group that arrived at the same time as us ended up being detained for 4 hours while one of them went to the ATM to take out more money!

They have a lot of locals (and beggars) hanging around the border checkpoints. Don't let anyone there touch your bags or your passports! They'll try to take your bags and demand you pay them for it. Some people will even take you passport to fill out your Entry/Departure cards. Don't let them do it! They'll charge you for it!

If there is one piece of advice for me to give anybody going into Cambodia over-land, that would be to get your visa in advance (at the Cambodian Embassy). Other than that, have fun!
travelman727 says:
Thanks for the great advice! I've heard other horror stories about getting entry/departure cards at the border. Good idea to pick up your visa at the Embassy. It allows you to be flexible in your trips while still be safe :-D
Posted on: May 26, 2007