Bordeaux, France

Bordeaux Reviews

JoanneX JoanneX
Bordeaux a fantastic city Sep 15, 2013
Bordeaux is a fantastic city! I was there during the Easter's holidays 2013. You must try a Bar de Vin. There are so many there. Looks like a specialty of Bordeaux to me. I spent a wonderful evening in a Bar de Vin called "Le Vin Set" (here below is the link of their website) with a friend and a young couple we met there. The bar was run by three young men who are really passionate about wine and is open 4 evenings a week only. We paid 20€ / person for a "Initiation à la dégustation de vin". Very fair price! We tasted three or four wines served with cheese and fresh ham, and more importantly, we learned so much about wine. The course was meant to be one hour, but our host was too nice who spent two hours with us to answer each of our questions, and for that he had to refuse to take any other clients during that time as his partners could not come that evening. If you are interested in a "Initiation à la dégustation de vin", call them in advance to book. They need at least 4 persons to start a course.

Address: 27 rue des Bahutiers

Tel:09 52 19 09 37

I also recommend the following restaurants :

Bordeaux: zut I can't remember the name lol but you can see some photos of the restaurant. Actually I had read some reviews on Internet and chosen a restaurant called L'assiette du vieux Saint Pierre (address: 14 Rue des Faussets Tel:05 56 51 66 55) which had a good reputation. But it turns out that this restaurant does not serve lunch (also closed on each Monday), so we just walked around and picked a quaint restaurant which serves traditional local dishes in that area (a small street not far from la Place de Bourse). The food was very satisfactory. In a menu of 18€, we had foie gras as starter, cuisse de canard confit as main course and glace chantilly as dessert.

Pyla- sur-mer: the first restaurant on the right when you enter the village from the direction of Dune du Pyla. Their menu of 25€ could delight your sense with the Salade Landaise as one of your starter choices.

"Chai Pascal" at Saint Emilion (photos attached): Bar restaurant. Quaint and cosy. Fair price and good home-made food. Their Menu du jour was worth trying. You could taste different local desserts such as Cannelé and Macaron de Saint Emilion if you chose Café gourmand or Thé gourmand as dessert.

I'd love to spend more time in Bordeaux but since I had three days holiday only, here is my schedule: day one in the city, day two at Dune du pyla and driving along the coast, day three at Saint Emilion.

If you enjoy cycling on the bank of river, you can hire a bike as we did in Paris. There is a bike station right in front of the Office de Tourism of Bordeaux. The cycle lane is nice on the bank of La Garonne. But I don't suggest you to cycle in other areas of the town as without cycle lane it could be dangerous.

If you are interested in visiting the vineyards, you'd better call them for reservation. We visited two vineyards at Saint Emilion:

- LANIOTE (www.laniote.com): a family owned small vinyard. Free visit guided by the owner, a funny old man who loves entertaining his guests by playing magic. Wine tasting was offered after the visit. If you like their wine, you can buy some bottles.

-FRANC MAYNE (www.relaisfrancmayne.com): a big vineyard with underground cellar. 7€ for a guided visit and tasting of two wines.

I think I will go back to Bordeaux some day.

Check Bordeaux Hotel Deals