Booking Garuda Indonesia from Overseas

Makassar, Indonesia - +62 21 2351 9999

Booking Garuda Indonesia from Overseas Makassar Reviews

alexchan alexchan
Good airline spoilt by poor payments process Oct 17, 2009
I needed a flight from Manado down to Ujung Pandang (Makassar) and the only two airlines were Garuda and Lioinair.

I desperately didn’t want to book it with the Garuda office in New Zealand, any agent outside of Indonesia or an international website because they aren’t allowed to sell highly discounted fares. Those are only available for purchase Indonesia.

First stop was Garuda ... their website had introduced online booking but as it turned out, they didn’t accept foreign credit cards.

If you had an Indonesian credit card their “Surprise Fares” would be a fraction of what you’d pay through an international website like Travelocity or your agent outside of Indonesia.

Their call centre aren’t allowed to sell the “Surprise Fares” but are still cheap compared to international websites. Foreign credit cards are accepted via an IVR (enter your card number to voice prompts) but this was broken for days and weeks.

In the end, they customer rep extended the payment time limit for me until a couple of days before travel ... something that would never be done in the West for steeply discounted fares. This would enable me to pay at a Garuda office in Indonesia.

On the whole ... they’re one of the best call centres I’ve ever dealt with ... polite, helpful, unhurried and some spoke excellent English. Unfortunately, be prepared for payment problems and try to get an extension for the payment so you can pay while in Indonesia.

In the end, Lionair worked for me so I cancelled my Garuda booking. Pity as Garuda is wonderful once onboard.
bernard69 says:
I have booked with Visa on internet my Garuda flight Manado-Makassar without any problem with
Posted on: Oct 23, 2009