Bonegilla Migrant Experience

bonegilla.org.au - (02) 6020 6912

Bonegilla Migrant Experience Reviews

jacobi jacobi
Looking Back Into My Arrival Mar 31, 2017
I came to Australia in 1970 with my parents and uncle from Germany. I was 2 years old. After landing in Sydney, like most migrants to the country, we were bused to the Bonegilla Migrant Camp not far from the larger city of Albury. The camp closed down in 1971, so we got the better end of the facilities and activities at the place. All migrants were checked for their health and many details were kept and are now part of historical records held in the country's capital of Canberra. The camp was established to assist migrants coming to the country, so they were quite free to wander outside of the camp.

So it was some 47 years later when I was with my own family that I decided to show them where I first lived in this country. I took them there as it was on the way home from our holidays on the east coast.

Now for me the place was quite interesting. The entry is free, but donations are welcome. The camp was so much bigger than what is now left to see, but you get a good idea of how the place worked. There are many opened buildings that you can look into and see how the residents lived. There is a lot of information and eye-opening photographs to help you understand. Tours are available. We went there in early January. It was hot and we were basically the only people there apart from the reception person, who was a helpful lady that found my records on the computer.

Although I found the site quite interesting, my teenage kids weren't too excited about it. It was no amusement park, but they did watch the repeating 10 minute video and read a few of the plaques and looked at the photos and explored every opened building they could.

Bonegilla is by beautiful lake Hume and only a 20 minute drive from Albury and close to the Alpine region. There is a lot of further information on the website if you are interested in such things. http://bonegilla.org.au/
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured! Your kids will probably appreciate this visit when they get older.
Posted on: Apr 01, 2017
MalenaN says:
How interesting for you to see where your life in Australia begun. Congratulations on the featured review!
Posted on: Mar 31, 2017
TravelingChris says:
Congrats on the featured review. Interesting stuff.
Posted on: Mar 31, 2017

Compare Ebden Hotel Rates (3km away)

Bonegilla Map