Bokrijk

Genk, Belgium

Bokrijk Genk Reviews

Ils1976 Ils1976
back to the past of Flanders May 09, 2013
This open-air museum is located in the middle of a national park situated in the province of Limburg, which is very much known for its many walking trails and bicycle routes.

The park itself is opened daily except on Mondays and in wintertime it is also closed for renovation and other stuff. This year the park is closed from the 1st of October 2012 till the 29th of March 2013 and I know there are a few exceptions when they have there special events like autumn jitters and winter evenings, for this dates it is best to look at their webpage.

During the season they have lots and lots more events, the one I visited was “day of the edible landscape” (roughly translated) and I must say it was very informative to learn more about the fruits and veggies and all the other things we can harvest in our country, to say the least of all the tastings … yummy!

The open-air museum is basically a visit to the past of our country. Here you can visit 3 different villages of about roughly +/- 100 years ago. The villages shown are East and West Flanders, Haspengouw and the Campine, the region I live!

Personally I find this open-air museum a fantastic place to visit because I love the past and 2nd it is fun to watch the re-enactment of my own history so to speak. In the summertime lots of actors come to this place and tell the visitors about the “old days”. You can learn more about the history of Flanders, basically learn how people lived and how they spend there days.

The park itself is not so expensive, adults pay 10 euro, a child till the age of 3 is free and there is a special price for children age 3 to 26 (yep, really till that age!!!) of 1 euro. So if you look very young, you get in for almost free! 

It is easily accessible with public transport or with your own car, just follow the signs from the motorway and during a scenic route of about 15 minutes or a bit more, you arrive at the parking lot. When you decide to come on foot or with your bikes, that’s no problem at all, they have “invented” a lovely route so that you arrive very relaxed at the entrance of the museum.

All in all a fun day back into history when you happen to visit this province in Belgium. A must to see, you won’t regret it!
Ils1976 says:
I just love the place and visit it at least once every year! :D
Posted on: May 16, 2016
Paulovic says:
Nice. I remember I went here when I was a kid still with my family. :) It's lovely.
Posted on: May 15, 2016
Ils1976 says:
it is, you should come over and visit the place! :D
Posted on: Jan 21, 2015