Bodies: The Exhibition

3900 South Las Vegas Boulevard, Las Vegas, NV, USA

Bodies: The Exhibition Las Vegas Reviews

mkarinaa mkarinaa
Bodies: The Exhibition Sep 13, 2009
Not for the skirmish! The exhibit isn't that big but man is it disturbing!!! It should take you an hour tops to go through, unless you like to read every single word then it might take a wee bit longer. But its pretty cool, shows you insides and people cut in half. For everyone who doesn't know this yet, but those are REAL people, they donated themselves to the museum. Its something you should definitely check out.
bkretzer bkretzer
Well done, but disturbing Apr 16, 2008
This exhibit is not for everyone. I will state right up front I am a bit weirded out at the thought of looking at really honest-to-goodness, dissected, and freeze dried dead people. And that is what this exhibit is.

The company that does this procured the corpses of people from China. They were people who died and had no family to claim the body. As we are talking about a county not known for their policies concerning human rights, take that for what it’s worth. After getting the bodies they are dissected in a manner to show off whatever system or area of the body they are trying to highlight. Then the body is positioned in the pose they want it in, and is immersed in a bath of acetone. The acetone forces all water from the corpse. When completed, the body is then placed in a bath of polymer, in a vacuum environment. As the vacuum sucks out the acetone, the polymer leeches into the space left, and the corpse is now preserved forever.

If you can get past the whole dead person thing and are not squeamish, the exhibit is very well done. You get to see the various muscles, organs, bones, nerves, or whatever, very clearly. It is like looking in a 3-D text book. I imagine surgeons would positively love this, as it offers such a broad and extensive view of the human body.

There is one area I found disturbing. There is an exhibit of babies. They had one exhibit showing the growth on a week to week basis. While very interesting, it was also hard (for me) to forget these were not models. There was a pair of conjoined twins and a baby who had died as a result of a serious and dramatic birth defect. You do not have to tour this area. You are warned in advance and given a way to bypass this display.

Would I see this exhibit again? The answer for me is No. But that is only because I found it disturbing. Factoring that part out (which might be hard to do, your mileage may vary) it was well done. We paid $108, for two adults to see this and the Titanic exhibit. So it is a little steep.
PhinsAndGills says:
I don't think I would be able to go see it. I freaked out so much while cutting apart the WORM in Biology that I was excused from the frog. Pathetic, huh?
Posted on: May 04, 2008
lovely_lori88 says:
i saw this when it was at science world in vancouver. i found it to be very interesting. some of the bodies though people wanted to donate to science! good review though! :)
Posted on: Apr 26, 2008