Bob's Youth Hostel

Bob's Youth Hostel Rates and Deals

Bob's Youth Hostel Amsterdam Reviews

berghain berghain
Good if you can handle some dirt! Jun 04, 2012
I've stayed at this place in August 2011.

Location: Bob's Youth Hostel is located near the central station. You can reach it in 10 minutes walking. Moreover, it's 3 minutes away from Damrak (main square) and 5 minutes away from the famous, notorious (don't worry, it's not that dangerous) red light district. You also will be able to reach Amsterdam's night life center Leidseplein in 20 minutes by feet.

Price: When I visited Bob's, we paid 18€ (about $22) during weekdays and 23€ ($28) during the weekend for a 4-bed-dorm. Amsterdam is not that cheap, so this is a good value. A little breakfast (toast and peanutbutter/jam/nutella) is included and so is bed linen.

Cleanliness: To sum it up: Bob's Youth Hostel is somehow disgusting. Snus is attached to the wall of the shower and has probably rotten there since ever. People found it funny to write stuff on the walls and also glue jelly beans on them. People eat and drink in their room even though it's forbidden, so fellow travellers told me about seeing mice at Bob's Youth Hostel. Luckily, I haven't seen one.

Most people staying at Bob's are young and don't need a lot of comfort. That's good, otherwise you will be enormously disappointed. It's not like other hostels are.

Atmosphere: The staff is really friendly. I can recommend this hostel to people who mainly come to Amsterdam to smoke pot and party. Smoking pot is allowed in the common lounge after 11 am as long as you don't mix it up with tobacco (or pretend to not use it). The reception is open until 3 a.m. but you can ask for a key to get in later. The atmosphere is really international, lots of young, laidback backpacking tourists and it's easily to get in touch in the common lounge if you want to.

Safety: Bob's Youth Hostel is providing lockers for free. We used them and had good experiences.

Bed: The beds are comfy and - at least - also clean.

If you can handle camping, you also can handle Bob's Youth Hostel. The atmosphere indeed is cool.
Isabelle_G Isabelle…
Cheap and nice hostel downtown Amsterdam Oct 19, 2011
I stayed twice in the space of a month at Bob's Youth Hostel. First time I decided to visit Amsterdam at the last minute and needed a budget place within walking distance of the train station, second time because I knew the hostel and liked it... On my second visit the guy behind the desk remembered me from my visit two weeks before;)

Both times I ended up staying in the 14 bed female dorm, which was fine and seemed clean. The room was big so there was space for everyone. Both the lockers and the shower worked fine.

Breakfast was included and served downstairs in the bar/reception area. Though quite basic it was still ok.

The only things I didn't like much back then was that the whole bar/reception area and the corridors smelled of cigarettes, as the doors to the bar/ reception stayed open most of the time. Also in the morning we got the cleaning team (all males) coming into the room without warning... Other than that I had a great time at Bob's Youth Hostel. The bar downstairs did a good job for a few drinks and to meet fellow travelers. I also liked the location, which was just a 10' walk from Amsterdam Central station and quite close to downtown as well.
dieforu says:
seems good place!!:)
Posted on: Oct 20, 2011
kelleb kelleb
Don't stay here. Oct 03, 2010
Unfortunately, my stay at Bob's Youth Hostel was one of the worst hostel stay's I've had. My friend and I went to Bob's after we couldn't get in another night at the Flying Pig (which is amazing btw.) So we went to Bob's to meet two other friends who were already staying there. Right off the bat, the staff were all very unfriendly. We got into the all-female 14 bed dorm (which was disgusting..) and I could tell that the bed had not been cleaned since the night before (ew.) The windows faced right onto the street, at street level, with barely a curtain (sheer) which did NOT seem safe to me, and didn't offer much privacy. We were given lockers to hold our stuff, however the locker number didn't match the bed number so I couldn't get my locker open, and when I asked the front desk man he was super rude about it (unnecessary.) Off the bat we were both bumming about it, however I kept saying "it's ok lets make the best of it, we'll probably never be back in Amsterdam."

The hostel did have a little hang out area in the reception area which was nice for chillin. There were two computers but didn't really work so kind of useless. Wi-fi didn't really work. We were told we had to be out of the dorm rooms between Noon-3pm (or so) for cleaning... kind of annoying, but understandable I suppose. There was a bathroom in the girls dorm but the shower thing was broken so you had to hold it in your hand the whole time.. rrr and cold too!

I wouldn't have thought this was all THAT bad until our last night. My friend Ally and I had a fun time out for a while, and made our way back to Bob's about 3:30am, to find the hostel wood door completely shut with no handle or way to enter the building. A sign on the door posted "Reception closed 3 - 8 am." Ok. Now I was furious. Isn't this a little fact that you TELL YOUR GUESTS AT CHECK IN ????!! We sat outside for about 15 minutes with no idea what to do. Finally we left and walked around trying to find SOmETHING open. Trust me, two gals walking around the Red Light District is not a good thing. We couldn't find one restaurant, bar, coffee shop, anything open. We finally walked to the train station and got kicked out for being homeless sitting on the floor. Went to Starbucks once they opened at 6 and didn't say a word for an hour. Walked back to Bob's. Two girls sat outside with all their baggage waiting to get in. Finally Bob comes to the door, on the OPPOSITE side of the main door, which goes up to Apartments and goes "oh you shoulda just rang this bell I woulda let you in." I was PISSED how in the hell were we supposed to know that there was no sign or anything???!

RRRRR. By this point it is 7:30 am we go to sleep until 10:15 to make a walking tour before we leave Amsterdam. Of course we oversleep, and wake up at Noon to the cleaning guy YELLING at us to get out of the room. We grab all of our crap from our lockers and throw it in the hallway, change etc in the hallway... sooo pissed.

NEVER stay at Bob's crappy hostel. There are many other options to choose from in Amsterdam. Looking back - it sucked - it's kind of funny - but sucked - but I won't let Bob ruin my experience in Amsterdam!
Bob's Youth Hostel
Reception area.. neatly decorated …
Nice chill out area..
Reception area in the morning.
SchpidermaN Schpider…
I'd stay away Sep 09, 2009
Well, as the eternal chaser of bad hostels, I wasn't too disappointed with this one.

This hostel is located near the "Tourist Inn" hotel (that I reviewed previously), and do yourself a favor, if you can stay at the latter - do so.

Bob's hostel is divided into 2 buildings, that located within a 2 min walk from one another. I stayed at both, and they both suck.

Huge rooms, with more than 10 beds in each, no curtains on the windows, so if you got this daytime crash, and you wanna take a nap, you can pretty much forget about it.

No lockers, just bare beds and that's about it. The bathrooms weren't the nicest of them all, but as always, you can somehow manage.

All in all, for the pricey price that they charge, fuck it.

Nothing too fancy here that worth a true recommendation of me, therefore I would suggest to look for a better place for the night. Maybe camping or something.
kelleb says:
Agreed, hated it !!
Posted on: Oct 14, 2010
skinny_phil skinny_p…
Cheap. Somewhere to sleep, Good Location. Sep 29, 2009
Bob's Youth Hostel is one of the more well known hostels in Amsterdam, along with the likes of The Flying Pig etc. I have stayed there on two separate occasions, on two separate trips to Amsterdam.

First off, Bob's is in a prime location. This is its main advantage. Roughly ten/fifteen minutes walk from Amsterdam's Centraal Station, and about two from 'Dam Sqaure - it is right in amongst things. Tram lines run in both directions right outside Bob's and these make for easy access to other parts of the city.

Along with location, price and value/quality are perhaps up there on the list of vitals when choosing a place to rest your weary bones.

Bob's is fairly cheap. The beds/rooms however do reflect this. They are far from disgusting, but the beds are fairly small and rickety (all bunks). It's worth noting that there are private rooms available, however at an increased cost obviously - I have no experience with these.

Both times I've stayed, I've been in a full dorm of about 20 people, made up of 10 bunks. I am a heavy sleeper and always slept well, however I'd imagine if you wake easily, you may struggle to get a solid eight hours.

Bob's is actually made up of two buildings on separate streets (within thirty seconds of each other). The reception area is in the basement of one, whilst the majority of the beds are in the other. The reception area is quite cool and has internet (at a cost), free wifi if I remember correctly, board games/cards & a good few seats to chill on and meet other guests. Smoking is also allowed inside the basement, but not in the rooms.

The staff could be friendlier, in particular the guy who wakes you up every morning at about 10am to change your bedding. Long lie ins aren't really possible in Bob's either.

There are lockers in rooms available and also a holding room to keep your bag safe in on your last day once evicted from your room.

Breakfast leaves a lot to be desired. It consists of two slices of bread, a boiled egg and two pots of jam - hardly enough to face a day's walking around the 'Dam.

If you aren't too fussy on luxuries, are looking for somewhere cheap that will function as a good base to work out of - Bob's is for you. The price and location do it for me.
Outside of Bob's
Beds in Bob's
More beds in Bob's
kelleb says:
couldn't agree with you more about the unfriendly cleaning man !! i hated bobs youth hostel. Also they don't warn/tell you (or did NOT tell us) that the doors lock between 3-8 am. Locked out in the red light district is NOT fun.
Posted on: Oct 14, 2010
Altravels says:
cheers. very helpful
Posted on: Mar 15, 2010
Paullfc Paullfc
Affordable, friendly and well located hostel Jun 09, 2008
Bob's Youth Hostel boasts a laid back and friendly atmosphere and is in a good location giving quick access to many of Amsterdams attractions. Bed availability is very good as numbers of online reservations are limited and the hostel has a truly hospitable atmosphere.
My pal Joe in Bob's Youth Hostel
Amsterdam - Myself and Joe
Robot Joe in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
petit_gooroo petit_go…
Jul 15, 2007
We stayed there for our second night in Amsterdam. We choose a private room and shared the shower and the toilets with another private room. It was rather clean, no problem about that.

It cost us 70€ for both of us, including a breakfast (but we were too late to have it). The room was simple but very large compared to what I expected: we even had a table with a sofa.

It is located near the Centraal Station and the area seemed safe to me. Moreover, it is just next to the police station.

However, I don't know how the hostel is when you share a room etc.
garymills says:
that sounds pretty cool. thanks for the response!
Posted on: Aug 19, 2007
tessabe tessabe
Jul 20, 2005
Get your own loft andit comes with two hard boiled eggs and toast in the morning!
upstairs