Boabeng - Fiema Monkey Sanctuary

Sunyani, Ghana

Boabeng - Fiema Monkey Sanctuary Sunyani Reviews

StephAAMU StephAAMU
Super Duper Fantabulous May 05, 2011
The monkey sanctuary is shared by two villages, Boabeng and Fiema. The tour guide was awesome and informed us at the beginning of the trail that the village was created in 1827. The people see the monkeys as sacred and it's taboo to kill them. The two species, mona and colobus monkeys, are endangered. They even have a monkey cementary.

The monkey sanctuary has been a part of the National Wildlife Reserve System since 1975. The monkey sanctuary is not fenced in so the monkeys leave the forest and enter the villages where they steal food from homes. It was so awesome to feed the mona monkeys who will take peanuts from your hand. I have some awesome pictures with the mona monkeys, the colobus monkeys live high in the tree tops and don't come down. At one point I was surrounded by five mona monkeys.

The sanctuary is gorgeous and peaceful, but you have to arrive early (like with the sunset) b/c the monkeys don't come out later in the day. The monkey sanctuary is a 2 hour drive from Sunyani and if you visit you should pray that it hasn't rained b/c the roads are dirt and the mud and potholes are treacherous when wet. I like that I wwas in the monkey's sanctuary on his terms and not vice versa like it would have been if I visited Mr. Monkey at the zoo.

Interesting note: The monkeys moan for 6 days straight when someone in the village is going to die.

The sanctuary is also home to some beautiful ficus trees that I was able to climb and can say "another photo op" lol. I felt like a spider monkey climbing the tree.

Near the sanctuary is a little village where a man carves wood into beautiful objects. Mahogany and ebony trees are resources of Ghana, I purchased a gorgeous elephant head/dish and a sweet little giraffe for my niece, Kendall.
Sunyani Map