Seoul, South Korea
www.boaguesthouse.com/main/m… - +82.2.323.6255 (other countries)

Check Seoul Hotel Deals

BoA Guesthouse Seoul Reviews

trippin_jen trippin_…
BoA Guesthouse Jan 08, 2013
It was an 'accidental' stay at BoA. After our bad experience at Manaedang Guesthouse (see my other review), we immediately booked the ONLY available room for 3 at BoA. We had a difficult time trying to use the Korean-language computer provided at Manaedang, and thought we had booked our room at YEHA (sister guesthouse of BoA). Eventually we found out that, during our flustered moment, we actually booked the wrong hotel. We wanted YEHA at Insadong, but ended up with BoA near Hongik University!

Nevertheless, it was sort of our only choice as it was a public holiday and most places were anyhow full. We had no regrets to our 'mistake'. Like they said, sometimes mistakes lead you to good things.

Location/Directions

Trust their map! Nothing can be more precise. Directions were clear and easy to find, and there's no excuse you can't find the place. It's also brightly lit at night. While walking along the lane towards this guesthouse, you'll find sundry shops, and several other small restaurants serving both local and western food. Train station is just nearby and HongDae shopping district is also within walking distance, so it's really convenient.

Reception

Reception is small but complete with waiting area and some brochures for reference.

Pantry/Kitchen

HUGE like a canteen for pre-schoolers. CDs are provided alongside with the player so you're free to play whichever song to accompany your meal. Utilities are complete and free for use. A row of computers with internet connection are also provided in this room. The best thing is, you can make international calls for free! Funny but I found myself calling my dad almost every morning when I go down for breakfast, and I don't even call my dad once in a month when we're in the same country! Speaking of kiasu-ism (Singaporean slang) for having free phone calls! :D One thing I find weird is that, for the 3 days we were there, we only saw like 3 other guests at the pantry. The place is almost as quiet as a library.

The Room

Neat, clean, comfortable, brightly lit, all that you can hope for. It comes with a fridge, TV, hair dryer, dressing table, indoor slippers.

The Attached Bathroom

If you're sharing a room with someone whom you're not so closed with, it can be a little awkward. While it's sand glass, you could still see the person's silhouette, especially when the lights are turned on. The toilet is very small so most of the time the toilet paper/towel/clothes will get wet a little as you shower. TOiletries provided, including towel. It's definitely not sound proof... so... you know what I mean...

Laundry

There's a laundry room at the top floor. Soap powder provide and instructions are given so it's fairly easy to use the washing machine. You're allowed to hang your laundry at the roof top just outside the laundry room and it's spacious with plenty of space to dry your clothes. That's where they dry their bedsheets anyway. If you're in a hurry and there's no sun, dryers are provided with a fee.

Chill-Out Area

Also at the roof top, you can find a lovely swing and a few tables if you fancy your breakfast under the sun, or some beer under the moonlight. A very relaxing place indeed. It just got me wondering if there's ever anyone who jumped off the building, since I don't see any security whatsoever there.

Luggage Room

So if you still have a some time to spare after your check-out time, but too much to carry with you, you're allowed to keep your luggages in their locked luggage room. A weighing machine is also provided just to make sure your luggage is within the weight limit.

What I Don't Like About This Guesthouse

The lights are energy saving and works based on censor. Basically the corridors and staircases are dark, and will only be lit upon sensing movement. So the lights will only come on as as you walk towards that path. For me, personally, I prefer to walk to places where I could see what's ahead of me. While walking up to the rooftop, I could basically see nothing in front, and wouldn't know if there's somebody hiding behind the stairs or something. Ok, maybe I'm a bit paranoid. Maybe Korea is really a safe place after all, so all these are really not a concern.

In general, I would recommend this place because of its overall value, but if you prefer to stay in the 'hotspot', within walking distance from most of the tourist attractions, this may not be a good choice for you.
bigmac993 says:
Well written! Congrats on your feature!
simsing says:
Congrats on the feature!
Looks like a nice hostel!
ellechic says:
congrats for being featured. i love hongdae so knowing a good and affordable guesthouse/hostel/hostel is definitely a plus.
samina samina
Clean, affordable guesthouse Sep 07, 2012
A very clean affordable guest house. A single room was for 50 USD, and on a four-sharing basis was 20 USD. Very close to the subway, and Hongik university where you can enjoy night life and experience some great eating joints. You can make your own breakfast, there is free bread, eggs, cereal, tea and coffee. One can make free international calls. Shampoo,hair dryer, paste and towel included. You can buy basic food stuff like noodles,there is a vending machine for juices and water. Can use the fridge to store food.There is a laundry on the top floor, very cheap.Pick up for tours available too. The staff at the reception was very helpful with making travel notes+directions that you can flash it around for help from locals. Boaguest house also gives you a free subway-transit card!

Check Seoul Hotel Deals