Blue Planet Aquarium

Longlooms Road, Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom

Blue Planet Aquarium Ellesmere Port Reviews

austin37335 austin37…
Fishy family fun! Apr 28, 2012
I was looking after my 3 year old nephew for the day and after considering a number of activities I thought the Blue Planet Aquarium would be perfect. So, accompanied my by son Andy, that's where we headed.

The admission charge was quite steep, £15.50 for adults and £11.25 for children meant a bill of almost £50 for 2 adults and a child by the time a guidebook and a drink in the cafe were added. As I paid I thought that wasn't too pricey for a full day out, but that proved not to be the case...more of which later.

We escaped the official photo as we entered the exhibits, as Fin my nephew, was quite determined in the way that only a 3 year old can be, that he didn't want his photo taken!

The exhibits were very attractively laid out and there was plenty of information boards giving just the right amount of detail on each species. Not too much detail but just enough to keep children and adults interested. Fin of course was not too interested in the finer points of these information boards but he was captivated by the fish.

Generally, there is plenty to keep children interested, with a very wide range of species logically arranged in sections that lead you naturally through the aquarium. Exhibits include all manner of marine species from different habitats from all over the world, as well as other creatures such as spiders, snakes, frogs and other reptiles.

For many, the main attraction is the giant shark and ray tank which is the central point of the aquarium. This tank features an amphitheatre where demonstrations take place in front of a large glass window where divers appear at set times to feed the sharks and rays in a very entertaining way. This tank also features an 'Aqua tunnel' an enclosed glass walkway through the centre of the tank giving visitors a fabulous view of the fish.

All of this was very interesting and we did enjoy the visit, but we had seen all the exhibits and Fin was starting to lose interest after about 3 hours. With older children who may study the information boards in more detail you may possibly add another couple of hours, but at best this is a half day outing, so bear this in mind when paying the entrance fee.
Blue Planet Aquirium