Blue Lagoon

Blue Lagoon - Chilling(?) In The Blue Lagoon
Blue Lagoon - Access Steps For Blue Lagoon
Blue Lagoon - Hot Tub
Blue Lagoon - Blue Lagoon
Blue Lagoon - 427 Road To Grindavik :)
Blue Lagoon - Lava Landscape
Blue Lagoon - The Source - Geothermal Power Station Behind The Blue Lagoon.

Blue Lagoon Grindavik Reviews

Dr_Seuss Dr_Seuss
Geothermal Pool Jun 28, 2008
After Gullfoss we headed for Selfoss and then cut off the main road and went the back roads 38 and 427 to Grindavik. Probably quicker sticking to the main road but this wasy was a lot more fun :D Takes you though farms and onto a rough gravel road through barren lava landscape.

Really it is much closer to Keflavik, where most international air passengers will arrive than it is to Reykjavic. About half the buses to and from the airport stop off at the lagoon, and there are plenty of large lockers designed for holding baggage near the reception.

Depending on arrival/departure time I would suggest taking your swimming gear in your hand luggage and making it a relaxing start/end to your hoilday.

I've rated it as a 3* attraction, but if you only have a short stay in Iceland, around Reykjavic,then does become a MUST, but to be honest there are much better pools, around the island, that cost half the price and are a lot more natural.

The Blue Lagoon is man made, and is a by product of the geothermal power station that sits behind it. Having said that I enjoyed the experience, and we had promised my boy we would take him, so job done :D.

A big, massive by Icelandic standards, car park at the Blue Lagoon, so no problem parking. The service buses drop you off right outside the front door. Relatively new and modern looking.

Pricey enterance, £20 odd pounds each, although the kids got in for free. Seem pretty intent on trying to sell you all the spa packages, towel and robes, but we had our own. Seperate changing for men and women, and plenty of lockers for clothes storage.

After showering it's a bit weird to walk round the edge of the cafe to get to the pools. Feels great, like getting into a nice warm bath and it is very relaxing. For all the money they were charging for spa packs, a lot of people seemed quite happy to scoop the silica 'mud' off the bottom of the pool and smear it all over their face. I resisted that temptation, but it was to much for the kids.

The pool is kind of split into little sections, that aren't that much different from each other but moving from one to the other does give you something to do and change the view slightly. There are two saunas that you can get out and sit in for a while, one steam and the other wood heated.

We managed to spend 2 hours easily there, and it was more the need to get back to Reykjavik and find somewhere to eat that stopped us staying until it closed.

Like I said if you aren't doing the whole island then it's definately worth doing, but if you are venturing around the ring road then the Myvatn Nature Baths are much better IMHO (and half the price), and there are others you can find for free.
427 Road To Grindavik :)
Lava Landscape
Blue Lagoon
Chilling(?) In The Blue Lagoon
Vlindeke says:
A great experience!
Posted on: Jun 29, 2012
Glynnes says:
I must give this a try on my next visit.
Posted on: Jun 28, 2012