Blue Lagoon

240 Grindavik, Grindavík, Iceland

Blue Lagoon Grindavík Reviews

AJ8080 AJ8080
Unique experience Apr 06, 2015
If you go to Iceland, you can't skip The Blue Lagoon. I thought it was some overrated, expensive trap for tourists. And yes, it's not cheap, but you will enjoy it and won't want to leave. You can get there a clay mask for your face and take silly pictures - priceless :) After windy, cold days to submerge yourself in a milky water while having a drink.. Does anything else sound more dreamy to you? :) Bring a book and spend there the whole day - they have reading lounges with the lagoon view as well as a little restaurant/bar.
vances vances
Hot Stuff Aug 26, 2014
Yeah, everyone says the man-made Blue Lagoon is pricey and not as awesome as neighboring geothermal spas. The reputation is a bit too large to ignore, however, so we jumped into the icon with both feet.

There is a bountiful parking lot once you arrive, though most of the guests seemed to be borne by tour buses rather than rental cars. It is only a short walk to the facility and it is quite pretty as the liquid blue shallows you will soon wade into surround the place. Confess I don’t research these destinations like I would for outdoor activities, but it is fairly straight forward. Follow the queuing masses and pay your entrance fee. All four of us bought the basic package, but they have several more deluxe offerings and I would suggest you read up beforehand as the signage did not strike me as doing a great job of differentiating.

They do have procedures mainlined to efficiently process the hordes. I was most impressed by the wrist bracelet you receive when paying. The bracelet may be scanned, so you make all your purchases inside this way – since you want to stow everything but swimsuit that makes great sense. Better yet, the bracelets are deployed to use the lockers. The lockers where in blocks of eight or so with a sensor centrally located. You simply stow your gear in a locker, close the door and scan your bracelet. The sensor confirms the number for the locker whose door you just closed and locks it. Because the bracelet uniquely identifies yourself, you just scan again when it is time to open back up and the sensor knows which one is yours.

After showering it was off to the water. I was a little disappointed the lagoon was not as immense as I envisioned. From all of the misty pictures I’ve seen it was a sprawling pool with numerous nooks and crannies. There was, however, plenty of room and we never felt crowded. I was surprised the floor of the lagoon was rough and sandy – being non-natural I figured it would be similar to a swimming pool.

Beyond the pleasure of steamy seas, Blue Lagoon offers free mud pots so you can give yourself a beauty treatment. Laura, Jodi and Mike all splurged, but I passed since I wore my glasses in (pretty much blind without them). I did pass my glasses off to relish the waterfalls they have. What a delight! Getting massaged by a HOT downpour was every bit as good as a massage and I soaked this up.

Of course there is a pool bar and quite a few of the patrons were making frequent visits and scanning those bracelets.

I got out a little before my companions and scoped out the rest of the facilities. In addition to a convenient little cafeteria by the side of the water (Blue Lagoon Bar), a comparatively inexpensive eatery (Blue Café) and even a more formal sit down restaurant (Lava Bar & Restaurant). Naturally there is a deluxe gift shop chock full of souvenirs, swimwear and beauty products. I eventually ventured back outside and even strolling the grounds is appealing. A surreal environment that remains a “must do” when you get to Iceland.
Mike, Jodi and Laura are ready to …
Blue Lagoon
Most folks availed themselves of t…
...instructions included!
cotton_foam says:
Congrats on the featured review, Vance!
Posted on: Nov 08, 2014
spocklogic says:
Where's Brooke Shields and Christopher Atkins?
Posted on: Nov 07, 2014
westwind57 says:
Congrats, Vance, for having this steamy story featured :)
Posted on: Nov 07, 2014
Africancrab Africanc…
Experiencing the heated lava waters of the Lagoon Dec 18, 2010
I was in Iceland in October this year. My initial travel was planned with two attractions in mind: The Northern Lights (Aurora) and the Blue Lagoon. I succeeded in visiting only one and then many others, but not the Northern Lights. The season was not right, so I was told. The Blue Lagoon, known in Icelandic as "Bláa Lónið", is a geothermal spa, one of the most visited attractions of Iceland. The steamy, blue waters are part of a lava formation from thousands of years back. The spa is located in a lava field in Grindavík on the Reykjanes Peninsula, southwestern Iceland. It took us a good 30 minutes to drive from Reykjavik to the Lagoon.

The Blue Lagoon is fed by the water output from a nearby geothermal power plant. The rather hot, well heated water is vented from the ground near a lava flow and used to run turbines that generate electricity. After going through the turbines, the steam and hot water passes through a heat exchanger to provide heat for a municipal hot water heating system. The warm waters are rich in minerals like silica and sulfur and bathing in the Blue Lagoon is reputed to help some people suffering from skin diseases such as psoriasis. We did use some of the white mineral to have a facial workout, fortunately for me there were about 5 Travbuddies with underwater cameras, so I have evidence of me looking like an alien from outer space. It was quite an experience to remember and cherish.

With the wind picking up by the minute, it was incredibly cold as we dashed through the heavy doors from the cafe area into the pool waters. Relief comes over you once the warm waters cover your body, the blue color of the water is so attractive. Initially I thought the water was free flowing like in a lake, but it is controlled in an enclave of sorts. The surround management building and plant create an enclosure around the waters, but not a good shield against the chilling winds blowing over.

The entrance fee is Isk 1400,- for Adults (approximately 16 euros) but you can stay as long as you like. The showers have shower gel and conditioner provided and you should definitely use the conditioner to protect your hair from the water.

All in all it is money well spent if you happen to be in Iceland. Iceland in general is an expensive country, so make sure you have planned your trip, otherwise you will not enjoy it as much.

Highly recommended for families, friends, single travelers and all.
The Blue Lagoon
Africancrab says:
You will like it Christian. It will be colder of course, but the waters are so warm/hot.
Posted on: Dec 19, 2010
Chokk says:
I will be there in January - looking forward to it
Posted on: Dec 19, 2010

Compare Grindavik Hotel Rates (0.6km away)

Blue Lagoon Map