554 Bloomfield Avenue, Montclair, NJ, USA

Blu Montclair Reviews

mrgishi mrgishi
New York worthy dishes in New Jersey and for less money Jan 17, 2010
Zod Arifai's Blu is worth a trip to Montclair for anyone in the northern half of New Jersey that is tired of having to go into NYC for great restaurants. Blu is small and popular, so you have to call ahead several weeks for a reservation, but they also have a scaled down version next door aptly named 'Next Door'. The prices are reasonable and even better, Blu is BYO.

I started with crispy sweetbreads served with pureed butternut squash, chopped hazelnuts and dried cranberries. The sweetbreads were prepared perfectly with a salty, crispy sear all around. For my entree, I had skate with celery root, wild mushrooms and truffle broth. The skate was also excellently prepared with an almost bacon like crispy sear on the outside, but a tender white inside that absorbed the truffle broth and mated with the julienned celery root perfectly. For dessert, I had a black olive cake with orange custard and basil ice cream. I really enjoyed mixing the flavors together, but I'm sure this one wouldn't be the favorite of traditional dessert lovers.

Check Montclair Hotel Deals