Blencathra

Keswick, England

Blencathra Keswick Reviews

davidx davidx
Good for a quick visit but worth much more Nov 12, 2010
Blencathra is one of my favourite of the mountains that just fail to reach the 'magic' 3000 feet. If you wanted to go up ust one Lake District mountain in England - on the way from Scotland to London perhaps, this is the one I should suggest. You can get right to the bottom with a car, plod up a very steep grass slope and then rise pretty fast to a spur leading to a summit range.

Yes, there are several tops, connected by a very easy broad ridge and three of them have fine spus perpendicular to the ridge. Of the three I recommend the spur to the central and highest point, Halls Fell.

Another route, only to be recommended if you are up for a fairly hard scramble, is Sharp Edge, well to your right as you face the spurs.

I have been up here in mist and in winter conditions but the time I remember best was when a thunder storm hit myself and a friend just as we reached the top. It suddenly became dark as night at 4 pm on a May afternoon and lightning was flashing all over the place. No doubt we were wise to hurry to lose height - the top being the worst possible place in lightning - but there was nothing sensible in our flight; it was good primeval terror! Never let your offspring go on a mountain walk with anybody who has never been afraid of mountains - they've seen nothing!

Related Travel Blogs About Blencathra

Scenery, Mint cake and (quite) a few films
So after escaping my shift at work around 3.00pm, I walked the housemate, kissed the dog, grabbed my packed bags and jumped into the Warrior and set off up North to Bowness-on-Windermere where I w…Blencathra, Keswick, Grasmere, Rydal Water (where I talk a short stroll) and finally Ambleside. Along the way I bought myself…
Discovering Budget Backpackers Nirvana
I was treated to another gorgeous morning when I awoke, although there were some black clouds obviously heavy with rain drifting by, the air felt so clear and the sun burst through at every opportu…Blencathra enabling me to fit in both peaks tomorrow, it sounded like a plan, I just needed to find a suitable route. I took the footpaths to Keswick

Check Keswick Hotel Deals