Blacksheep Hostel

Check Budapest Hotel Deals

Blacksheep Hostel Budapest Reviews

Onthewind Onthewind
Professional and cheap accommodation May 02, 2013
It's very easy to find the hostel as the entrance is by the black sheep bar on street level. It took about 15 minutes walk from the nearest metro station to arrive at the hostel and despite being on a bustling street with bars and restaurants the security of the hostel is good. To initially enter you need to press the buzzer and the sign on the door says smile at the camera. From the reception the staff can see all the people entering the building, which stands around 7 stories high and used by other residence.

A really small lift (3 people with luggage) will help take you to the 5th floor and the door to the hostel is almost in front of you as you exit the lift. You'll need to use the doorbell on first entry but you'll be given an electronic key card that will allow you to get in the building and into the hostel and your individual room during your stay.

The lady who welcomed us was fairly friendly and after we had completed the formalities of payment we were given a key card and a locker key which required a deposit. By the reception is the lounge area which is relaxing but very small. A 3 seated sofa and some bean bags are really only enough for about 5 people and there is books, magazines, TV and dvd's for entertainment. There is also a fridge for soft drinks and beers and the prices are more or less comparable.

Around the reception there are bedrooms, a small toilet and a storage cupboard for towels which are free for use. Along from the lounge is a dinning area beside the kitchen. A nice long table with benches either side, means that many people can dine together. The kitchen is fully equipped, free tea and coffee is available all the time and fridge space. If I didn't know any better I would say that the hostel had recently been refurbished as things seemed fresh and well maintained.

Through the kitchen are the showers, toilets, computers and some more rooms. There is one shower room, toilet room and a combined shower & toilet room. All of which are fairly small and pretty well kept. Apart from the bracket which was supposed to hold the shower head to the wall coming out a few times I had no problems. The shower was powerful, kept temperature and whatever time of day/night always had hot water. As with all hostels I think there is an acceptance of things being a little rough around the edges and I think cleanliness at the black sheep is at a reasonably high standard. I used the computers a few times, and they were fast and had the essential software and headphones and webcams etc.

I stayed in the 8 bed room which was situated by the lounge. The bed was pretty firm and definitely not the best hostel mattress I have slept on, but still ok for a few nights. I was aware that there was a lot of noise from the street below during the early hours. People talking and laughing emanating presumably from the bars and this wasn't even at the weekend. For light sleepers this is going to be a potential problem. Another issue was the high temperature of the bedroom. I stayed in April and at night I barely needed the covers and it was irritating, and I can only imagine in the height of summer it would be significantly worse as I didn't notice air-con. The lockers are built into the bed and are quite big and under the bottom bunk, so a bit of scrabbling on the floor to get things in and out. The little key is also attached to the lanyard with the key card and I would be fairly happy to leave valuables in it. Also I was happy to leave my luggage on the hostel balcony which overlooks the inner courtyard of the building after I checked out, as my flight was in the evening. I was a bit dubious at first as this seems to be unsafe, but the balcony is locked off by the staff and it should be ok. It's worth noting though, this is how they will store your luggage if you need to leave it after check out, there is simply no room inside.

Overall then this hostel is pretty neat. It's located in the Jewish district, which is a popular area due to it's quirky ruin bars, cheap restaurants and tourist attractions. The staff were reasonably friendly and quite knowledgeable of the local area, and I read on a poster that they even cook traditional Hungarian food on Thursday evenings. The communal areas are small and would be very crowded during peak times, but they are well cleaned and furnished well. Also during busy times I can imagine there will be queues for the shower and toilets. Beds are average, bedrooms are hotter than you would like, but the lockers are agreeable and the overall feel of safety is great. I would say this hostel is good but not great. The vibe is chilled/professional and although you will not be guaranteed a perfect night sleep with the external noise, you'll definitely be able to prepare meals and feel safe. The other guests we met were couples or single long term travellers as opposed to partygoers.
Keycard and locker key
Inner courtyard
Map and attractions
paigejf paigejf
Blacksheep hostel in Budapest. Jun 24, 2011
My previous hostel cancelled my accommodation few hours before I arrive Budapest due to over crowded number of people,and they offer me to blacksheep hostel for the same price i've paid. I wasn't too sure whether I should take the offer, as I thought how bad lucky...haven't arrive Budapest, I have already facing the hostel trouble. I have no choice but to accept the recommendation. It turn out really well actually, blacksheep hostel's location are fairly good, walking distance to attraction spots, 100m from metro station, restaurants, cafe and famous pubs just around the corner, the staffs are very helpful, and nice. The hostel are newly renovated. Reasonable clean as well as the price are fairly cheap. I enjoyed my 4 days stay in Budapest. :)
Taken from courtyard of Blacksheep…

Check Budapest Hotel Deals