Blackfriars Restaurant

Friars Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Blackfriars Restaurant Newcastle upon Tyne Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
A favourite restaurant Nov 14, 2017
The quiet haven of Blackfriars has long been one of my favourite spots in the city centre, and in recent years the restaurant that is part of the complex has become another. Looking for somewhere special, but reasonable, for a New Year’s Eve dinner a few years ago, I discovered that here the menu is the same as throughout December – no exorbitant mark-up, no unwanted “entertainment”. What is more, the menu looked delicious, with a strong emphasis on locally sourced food, so we booked ... and were not disappointed! And we’ve been here every New Year’s Eve since, as well as on a few other occasions.

Firstly, the restaurant is in a wonderful old building, the former Dominican friary which dates back to the 13th century. It occupies the friary’s former refectory and thus can claim with some justification to be the country’s oldest dining room! On a chilly New Year’s Eve it is always very cosy and welcoming, and the service equally so, despite this being the liveliest evening in Tyneside’s calendar.

But the food is what really counts of course, and it is always excellent. Of our first visit I wrote:

‘My game terrine was rich and meaty, Chris’s pigeon salad fresh tasting and generous in size. Mains too were great, with my halibut being my favourite course of the evening (great wild mushrooms and a delicious sauce). For dessert I had a wonderful bowl of plums poached in cinnamon which were refreshing and suitably festive for the season, and Chris raved about his chocolate torte. Being New Year’s Eve, we may have had the odd drink, and for these, the three courses and service we paid a little over £100. Not cheap, but reasonable for the amount and quality of what we had and in such a lovely setting too.’

If you want to experience the latter without splashing out, they do a great value set menu at lunch time and early evening (before 7.00 PM). There are also lots of special events here (cookery classes, wine tastings and more), while the next-door Banqueting Hall can be hired for special occasions and also stages Medieval Banquets from time to time.
Game terrine