Black Dinah Chocolatier

PO Box 13, Isle Au Haut, ME, USA
Black Dinah Chocolatier - The somewhat random chocolate display at Black Dinah (understandable as I was likely their first retail customer in six months)
Black Dinah Chocolatier - But inside is even better!
Black Dinah Chocolatier - The deck is Black Dinah's café and right behind is the chocolate shop (I helped re-hang their laundry which you can see blew off the drying rack!).  The trail to the Overlook begins right where the corner of the deck is hanging.
Black Dinah Chocolatier - Steve did a lovely job of packaging my daughter's box of chocolates.
Black Dinah Chocolatier - Looking over Isle au Haut from Black Dinah Overlook (towards Acadia National Park & Moore's Harbor)
Black Dinah Chocolatier - Looking towards Robinson Point Lighthouse (where the Keeper's House Inn is) from Black Dinah Overlook.
Black Dinah Chocolatier - Looking over Isle au Haut from Black Dinah Overlook (towards the Town Landing)

Black Dinah Chocolatier Isle Au Haut Reviews

vances vances
A Sweet Retreat May 29, 2014
This was perhaps the biggest surprise of my visit to Isle au Haut. Who would suspect this remote location was home to handmade chocolates rapidly earning broad acclaim? Turns out Kate and Steve, an enterprising husband and wife, moved out here a few years back and got inspired to pursue this sweet deal after living here a bit.

The treats are creative, delicious and locally sourced to the extent possible (the chocolate, however, comes from Venezuela and Peru). The distinctive flavors derive from a broad array of ingredients, including herbs, spices, grains and seeds. Success has led to opening a retail store in Blue Hill (close to Isle au Haut on the mainland) and the rumor is they will soon open another shop down the coast in Portland.

Dropping in at their place was a real treat for me - the only one, since I don’t eat chocolates. Steve let me inside (I think most of the chocolate is made in the barn behind their house, but the chocolate shop literally sits within their abode) and assembled a splendid box of chocolates which my daughter raved about once I made it back home. Their back porch apparently doubles as a small café when summer traffic picks up, so you can double your pleasure by ordering a coffee to accompany your sweets. Better yet, just behind their place lies a short trail leading to what is now known as ‘Black Dinah Overlook’ – a small ledge offering sweeping views of the island, including the Robinson Point Lighthouse.

If you make it out to Isle au Haut, please drop by Black Dinah (pronounced DEAN-uh) for a truly pleasurable and unique experience!
The somewhat random chocolate disp…
The deck is Black Dinah's café an…
Steve did a lovely job of packagin…
But inside is even better!
vances says:
Type I Diabetes is what is wrong with me, lol. No worries, though...it doesn't bother me. I have one dessert each year on my birthday and if you can imagine how sweet something tastes when you sample so infrequently...it is HEAVEN!!!

:^)
Posted on: Jul 26, 2014
halilee says:
How can you not eat chocolate!!!??? What is wrong with you???!!!! It's like.. what makes the world go round.. it makes rainbows and stuff! OMG! Looks yummy that's for sure!
Posted on: Jul 26, 2014