Black Cat Hostel

Black Cat Hostel Rates and Deals

Black Cat Hostel Asuncion Reviews

AndyW1 AndyW1
An oasis in Asuncion Nov 06, 2013
On my first visit I got to Asunción feeling a little under the weather, thinking that it was nothing more than an upset stomach or a result of the lack of sleep or endless partying that had gone before maybe

I arrived at the hostel late in the day and so was too late to head off on the hostel arranged excursion that evening to see Fat Boy Slim playing in Asunción, so arranged to head out around the city with a local friend of mine.

On returning to the hostel I firstly encountered Lilia (who runs the hostel). She is very knowledgeable and proud of her beloved city and will do everything she can to make your stay a memorable one, whether its in helping organise all your day time sightseeing stuff or in making the most of the Asuncion night life.

On every night I was there they organised some form of evening entertainment for the guests somewhere in the city. The only down side was that I never got chance to experience any of it! as unknown to me I’d managed to contract food poisoning somewhere along the line previously (prior to arriving in Asuncion!). By day 2 and for the remainder of my stay I was in complete agony, culminating in a brief trip to the hospital.

However, during the entire time I was ill Lilia was always going out of her way to look after me and making sure I was o.k, even buying medication out of her own pocket. I cannot speak highly enough of her, as I may not have got to see anything of the city itself, but I did experience why the Paraguayan people are regarded as one of the most friendly and hospitable people’s around. I know Lilia takes a lot of pride in her hostel and always looks out for all her guests, treating them as she would her own family.

On my subsequent visits to the hostel Lilia has always been great and making sure that nobody is left out by themselves and encouraged to take part in the group activities. The hostel itself is great as it is low key from the street so avoids attention. Once inside you will be greeted by the in-house cat and dog who are as much part of the family as anyone else and which makes for a very homely feeling.

Rooms are super cheap if you want to stay in the large dorm, or you can alternatively opt for more privacy in more spacious dorms or private rooms – all of which come with air con or fans. The location is based in the down town area of the city, close to all the notable tourist attractions and the famous restaurants of Bolsi and Lido. From here you can also frequent a number of the local bars and pubs such as Britannia which are immensely popular with locals and travellers alike. If night life is your thing then its only a short and cheap bus or cab journey to Carmelitas where you can dance or drink the night away in the numerous bars and clubs located there – and all at super cheap prices. Asuncion is also fast becoming a new stop off point for many of the top music artists of the world and regularly hosts live gigs and concerts to meet all tastes and genres. Plus despite being thousands of Kilometres from the sea, you can now head down to the river side beach area directly behind the hostel. It also makes a great stop off point for travellers on route to Argentina, Bolivia or Brazil with cheap bus connections available to most destinations, including the nearby natural wonder of the world - Iguazu waterfalls.

The hostel has always been full during all of my stays there and those who I spoke to said they had a great time. The communal area is a good place to meet up with fun loving and open-minded people, there's a roof-top terrace to chill out on and have a few beers or an asado at the end of a long day of sight seeing, cable TV and free internet and wifi are available, breakfast is thrown in free of charge, and all for such a small amount of money! There is also a small but welcome pool when days can get very hot and humid in the summer.

Whilst I sadly never got the opportunity to see anything of the city on my first trip, her kindness and generosity went a long way to making up for my disappointment of not being able to explore. Subsequent visits have done nothing to change my opinion. I obviously got a lot of time to experience the hostel and its staff first hand and would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of visiting Asunción, as it will definitely add to your experience of the city.
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured!
monky says:
Congrats on your featured review!:D
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review! :)

Black Cat Hostel Overview

The Black Cat Hostel is located in the heart of Asuncion, within a two minute walk from Catedral Metropolitana de Asuncion.

Estadio La Arboleda and Estadio Martin Torres are within easy driving distance of the Black Cat Hostel. Internet access is available for guests wanting to remain connected during their stay. Clorinda Airport (CLX) is a 30 minute drive from the hostel. The location of the hostel allows guests to easily reach many tourist attractions on foot. The hostel is a five minute drive to Estadio General Pablo Rojas and Estadio Dr. Nicolas Leoz, and less than a 10 minute drive to Estadio Defensores del Chaco, Estadio Manuel Ferreira and Universidad Americana.

Black Cat Hostel Amenities