Bitterroot Mts., Bitterroot River, MT. USA

Bitterroot Mts., Bitterroot River, MT. USA - Painted Rocks Lake

Bitterroot Mts., Bitterroot River, MT. USA Darby Reviews

walterman9999 walterma…
nice mountain road with lake and river Oct 26, 2014
In 1987 I was camping through the Rocky Mts. and decided to follow a fork of the Bitterroot River up to the continental divide in Montana (and Idaho). I followed a nice dirt road and by the Bitterroot river up a large conifer forest.

They damned up the river and made the nice Painted Rocks Lake. I didnt see any painted rocks, but did not explore enough because many indians paint the rocks for religious or cerimonial reasons. Passed the lake I continued up by the Bitterroot river as it got quite small. As I neared the continental divide the river was a nice mountain stream and perfect for a beautiful free camp in the tall conifer trees.

I cooked my dinner and just finished washing my dishes and twilight came to usher me to bed in my truck camper. It was a wonderful night.

The next morning I drank coffee for a few hours and not in a hurry though my next camp would be on the Flathead River next to Glacier Nat. Park, my prime location of this two week camping trip.

I made it to Glacier Nat. Park that afternoon. Filling up with gasoline I met this guy from a car rental business. He gave me a free one week Glacier Nat. Park pass with 6 days left on it. He explaned that the custimers fly in and rent from him and only use one day on the Parks Pass. I made good use of that pass.
Upper Bitterroot River