Bistro Cacao

320 Massachusetts Avenue Northeast, Washington, DC, USA
(202) 546-4737

Bistro Cacao Washington Reviews

HuBison HuBison
Great French food in a wonderful atmosphere in Capitol Hill-treat yourself Feb 22, 2012
Wow-What a lucky girl I am! It takes a lot to impress me with food and I am a picky eater. I picked this restaurant for dinner with a friend on a whim and I am so happy I did. On a Wednesday, we were seated without reservations. You walk in and are surrounded by bottles of wine everywhere! The entrance is a small room with a cozy fire place with a bar off to the side and a few tall bar tables.

The gentleman behind the desk takes your coat and shows you to your table. The inside looks much larger than is perceived from outside and there are really 3 small sections inside. My friend and I sat in a booth that was not separates by faux furnishings, but by deep red curtains and sat in high back wing chairs. The service was great. I began with a great cup of tea and the waiter brought us warm rolls. We each ordered escargot and they arrives sizzling in butter and garlic (wish I had saved some bread).

We only each ordered the Chilean Sea Bass (yes, I know it's not a sustainable fish, but I allow myself to have no more than once a year), with perfectly cooked asparagus and some sort of potato pancake on a plate with a mango champagne sauce. I ate the entire plate with barely a morsel left to scrap off!!!!

My friend did not order dessert, but had a glass of Muscat by Michel Chiarlo and she was then forced to ask the waiter for the menu so she could write down the wine and then he brought the bottle so she could take a picture of the label. She loved it.

I was so tickled by the charm of the ambiance so if you go, it is best to ask for a booth. The food was rich and yummy and I was ready to go back before my meal was done.

Bistro Cacao is off on Massachusetts ave around the corner from Union Station, so parking may be a bit rough. I went in February, but when the weather is warm, there is outside seating available. Once I go somewhere, I like to check it off my list and be done with it so I can move onto a new experience, but I will be going here again and may consider trying brunch next time. Enjoy!

Check Washington Hotel Deals