Bistro 45

45 South Mentor Avenue, Pasadena, CA, USA - (626) 795-2478

Bistro 45 Pasadena Reviews

pvtjoy pvtjoy
Wine, Wine and more Wine Jan 15, 2010
On Monday, October 13, 2008, Rob and I had the opportunity to join his friend Georges and Susan for a wine tasting at Bistro 45 in Pasadena, CA. Wine tasting? You don't have to ask me twice and having Rob, Georges and Susan there is even better! Georges is co-owner of Bistro 45 and one of Rob's close friends and they have traveled together to many an exotic locale! I would gladly love to spend an evening of wine tasting, wine pairing and conversation of travel and adventure with Georges and Rob. Susan is a new friend that I've met once before and hope to see again and get to know better.

Back to the review.

Bistro 45 welcomes Jean Pierre Amoreau and celebrates the Wines of Chateau Le Puy - his family's vineyard. This vineyard has been around since 1610.

Following is a little history on how the wine is produced.

"Today, the vines are still cultivated using the same ancestral techniques: no chemical fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides or pesticides, which granted them the bio-dynamic organic certification known as Demeter."

"The harvest is done manually by a team of professional harvesters. The grapes are strictly selected twice in a row to ensure the highest quality of the berries. They are carefully handled so as not to be bruised. They are brought to the fermentation room where the vinification process starts, without additional yeast or sugar. The following cuvees are raised by stirring without addition of sulfites: "Barthelemy" and "Marie-Cecile", "Marie-Elisa" (sweet wine) and "Rose-Marie" (rose).

We started the evening with a very nice champagne and of course I didn't get the name, but that's alright check out the menu and see what was in store for us the rest of the night!

Here is the menu of our wine sampling and pairings:

2007 & 2006 Marie Cecile Blanc

First Course:

Tartar of marinated Arctic Char, horseradish, parsnip chips, daikon "spaghetti"

2005 & 2003 Chateau Le Puy

Second Course:

Carpaccio of Dive boat Sea Scallops, truffled celeriac slaw, apple bacon and beluga lentil relish, cured tomato and red wine fondue

1998 Chateau Le Puy

Third Course:

Petite Brandade of Stone Crab, asparagus, crushed fingerling potato, paquillo dressed watercress

Green apple, crystallized ginger, apple concasse

1990 & 1989 Chateau Le Puy

Fourth Course:

Exotic Mushroom bisque, wild rice fritters, grilled rabbit

1970, 1967 & 1959 Chateau Le Puy

Fifth Course:

Roulade of Maple Leaf Farms duck, dumpling squash, pea shoots, warm Raspberry vinaigrette

2005, 2003 & 2000 Chateau Le Puy "Barthelemy"

Sixth Course:

Wild Boar, salsify, Thumbelina carrots, sweet onions, savory streusel

2001 Marie Elisa

Seventh Course:

French Cherry Clafoutis, pistachio ice cream, toasted pistachios, brandied anglais

Doesn't that sound delicious? It was! For those of you who know me, you know I did not eat all that food. I hated that it went to waste, but I had to save room for the wine! The pairings were absolutely wonderful! I think my favorite was the mushroom soup paired with the 1989 Chateau Le Puy and the crab cake - the 1998 Chateau Le Puy was sunning with this. Delicious!

Also, I hate to disappoint all of you; hoping to see photos of the food, I didn't have the opportunity to take photos of the food but was able to take photos of all the glasses we had at the table. I think at any one given time there were over 40 glasses on the table for the 4 of us. Towards the end of the night - we did begin to enjoy the effects of the wine and we started snapping away some photos - so here they are!

Wine, Wine and more Wine!
me, Rob, Susan and Georges
My handsome man
Quest says:
ummm... looks like I would have to learn to like wine if I'm to hang out with you.. LOL
Posted on: Oct 16, 2008