Bistro 1

www.bistro1.co.uk - 020 7734 6204

Bistro 1 London Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Cheap, but nothing great! May 23, 2010
Christine and I had been at a matinee at Lyric Theatre. We were now looking for a place to have dinner. Walking in the direction of Leicester Square we stopped by an Italian restaurant, but Christine did not find anything she liked, so we continued. Then we saw Bistro 1 up a little side street and decided to take a closer look.

Bistro 1 is a chain and has four locations in London. We went to the one in Frith Street in Soho. This is a restaurant which serves Mediterranean cuisine with a touch of the Middle East. Prices are very reasonable and they have several menu offers. Lunch menus are £6,90/£7,90 for 2/3 courses and dinner menus are £9,90/£10,90 2/3 courses.

Since the weather was nice we decided on a table on the pavement. A waitress came quickly with the menus and took our drink orders. I asked for a cold beer. When the drinks were served my beer was warm. I mentioned it and the beer was taken away. The new beer was served in a glass taken directly from the dish washer. The beer was warm again! Finally I asked for a bucket of ice, so I could stick my beer in it. Eventually I had a cold beer.

Our waitress was anything but friendly. She actually looked like she had a terrible day. Christine was sure that something was wrong. She finally asked her and she admitted that she was miserable because she missed her family in Greece. After we sympathized with her she cheered up and was much nicer.

Christine chose a 2 course menu, Pancake filled with goat cheese and creamed spinach and a crème caramel, and I chose a 3 course menu, a smoked salmon & avocado salad, Middle Eastern style Falafal & Humus and Tiramisu. After I had ordered I was afraid that I would not be able to eat it all, but that turned out not to be a problem. The portions were very small.

Christine´s pancake had been pre-made and re-heated. It was dry on the edges and cold inside and the spinach very lifeless. My main course tasted well, but consisted of only 4 falafals and some humus. Christine had ordered crème caramel for dessert. She said that that can never go wrong and she was right. I had the tiramisu. If it hadn´t been for the chocolate sauce it would have been excellent.

Bistro 1 was one of those places you pass by coincidence, eat there once and then forget about it.

Their locations are: