Biscayne National Park

(305) 230-1100

Biscayne National Park Islandia Reviews

camwilde camwilde
Biscayne National Park Mar 22, 2013
This National Park is 95% water and to get a full appreciation, you have to travel by boat. To this end, we booked an excursion with Biscayne Underwater (http://www.biscayneunderwater.com/), the concessionaire for the park. We actually split up. The same boat goes out but I took the kids to Boca Chita and my wife continued on to Living Reef snorkeling.

Usually, for the Boca Chita tour, a ranger comes out and explains things, but due to sequestration, this didn't happen. Luckily, the boat captain was very knowledgeable and funny. We learned a lot and my five year old got to drive the boat for a while.

Once on the island, I took the kids up to the lighthouse where we got a good view of the area and even saw a ray go by in the water. There was also a small hike on the other side of the island through the vegetation. It is small, but pretty cool.

My wife enjoyed the snorkeling. She said the waves were pretty ferocious but the reef was one of the best she's ever seen. It was more impressive than the fish.

Finally, the Visitors Center in Homestead is small and has a little museum you can take the kids through and learn about wildlife and plants in the park.
Biscayne National Park
Coordinates of the Visitors Center
Kids enjoying the boat ride
My daughter driving the boat

Check Islandia Hotel Deals