Birmingham Botanical Gardens & Glasshouses

Westbourne Road, Birmingham, United Kingdom

Birmingham Botanical Gardens & Glasshouses Reviews

hurleyc2007 hurleyc2…
Perhaps not as magnificent as Oxfords botanical gardens, but still very beatuiful Nov 22, 2008
The gardens are located in an attractive residential area of the city with wide pavements and leafy trees. Altough they are some way out and so need some planning to get there I'd say they are worth it.

I first went to the Birmingham Botanical Gardens as part of a project on plant identifcation (I'm studying landscae architecture) but have since gone back a few times as I find them to be such a peaceful and inspirational place.

The glasshouses at the entrance are the highlight for me and the forest walk. The other areas are perhaps not as superior as Oxfords so if you were travelling to this area of the country I'd suggest visiting those instead if you're only going to see one, but I find myself going back there a lot to draw.

The gardens are about 40 minutes walk from Birmingham city center so I'd suggest taking a bus (£3 return) or a taxi if you're feeling flush, which will probably cost around £7.

I would allow around two - three hours to see the whole gardens in detail although if you wanted to go through them quickly then around an hour would be ok.

I like to sit along time in the hot houses and the arid house, especially when it's raining outside because the noise on the glass rooves and the steady drip, drip, drip as some of the water comes in.

Check Birmingham Hotel Deals