Biogradska Gora

Kolasin, Montenegro

Biogradska Gora Kolasin Reviews

starship1 starship1
Biogradska Gora National Park May 04, 2017
The drive to Kolašin in northern Montenegro along the beautiful Tara River Gorge had been very memorable indeed. But this wasn’t the only beautiful sight that this country had to offer. On our first full day in Montenegro we saw several more sights, two of which were national parks: Biogradska Gora National Park, and the Durmitor National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Using the Bianca Resort & Spa in Kolašin as our base for 2 nights, we left just after breakfast, and drove some distance to reach Biogradska Gora. The day was overcast and somewhat drizzly and chilly when we arrived. These factors along with the fact that it was a weekday meant that we virtually had the park to ourselves. Our bus climbed the ascending and winding road to reach the park entrance. The park is part of the deeply forested Bjelasica Mountain range where peaks reach as high as 2000 meters. Within the park are many glacier lakes, and one “low land lake” and that one being Lake Biogradsko which is the one we visited.

Though this is the smallest of the four Montenegrin National Parks, Biogradsko is flush with an extensive variety of flora and fauna. As we walked around a portion of the lake, I almost missed noticing the mostly submerged large frogs peering from the lake – seems we were the ones being watched! A somewhat uneven, rocky path wove along the edge of the lake. I couldn’t help but pick up some of the fragmented pink stone along the way which promptly went into my rock garden when I returned home. We continued to walk for a while under the towering trees. The forests here are variously described as virgin, rainforest or primeval forests.

A ways down the path there was a little Visitor’s Center and sort of natural history museum which over the space of about two rooms had displays on the natural features of the park including trees, animals and other interesting tidbits some of which were seen under lighted, glass panels embedded in the floor. Being quite small, it only took 15 – 20 minutes or less to enjoy the museum.

Being here in early spring, we saw no one yet swimming or boating on the lake that while beautiful in May, but must be sheer paradise in summer – can you imagine clean, fresh air; a picnic lunch; boating and swimming on the lake with a spectacular view; and end the day with a camp fire in the evening (fires allowed in arranged places only including minimum purchase of wood 5,00 €/day). A dock jutting out into the lake had small boats roped to it, and these can be rented for 8,00 €/1h. Fishing is allowed here as well but there is a charge of 20,00 € -- pretty pricey!

Admission to Biogradska is a bargain at only 3 ,00 € and free for children under 7 years old.
Biogradsko Jezero (Biogradska Lake)
Boats can be rented here
odiseya says:
Great destination! I planning to visit it one day!
Posted on: Aug 15, 2017
starship1 says:
I think it would be fabulous in summer. Hope you get to realize your dream of traveling to all of the former Yugoslav Republics -- I would love to go back and explore lots more of this part of the world as well. So much to do and see in this life!
Posted on: Aug 01, 2017
planxty says:
This place looks gorgeous. It is one of my travel ambitions to visit every one of the Former Yugoslav Republics but I have not managed Montenegro, I really should get there soon.
Posted on: Aug 01, 2017