Billy Goat Tavern

(312) 222-1525

Billy Goat Tavern Chicago Reviews

airenwah airenwah
Billy Goat Tavern Mar 26, 2011
One of my business partners, who is a Chicago local insisted that he take me to a well known Chicago eating institution called the Billy Goat Tavern. The place was also referred to as the "Cubs Curse".

First of all, unless you are a local or in the company of a local, god bless you if you can find this place on your own. It's located right of of Michigan Avenue (I'm pretty sure). However you have to go down a flight of stairs which takes you underneath the street and down what some would refer to as nefarious. Although I never felt as if I was in any immediate danger.

The Billy Goat is a great dive burger joint. They have a couple of claims to fame. Saturday Night Live drew quite of bit of attention to it years ago. The skit where the cooks yell out, "Cheezborger! Cheezborger! NO Fries, Cheeps. No Pepsi..Coke". To tell you the truth I'm a little vague on the Cubs curse portion of their history. Be forewarned however, they will try to upgrade you from a single to a double cheezborger and they are necessarily polite about; referring to those who decline the upgrade as a "Pussy".

As far as greesy spoons are concerned the burgers are good but not remarkable by any stretch of the imagination. The main draw to this place is the history. My partner insisted that if you can ever call your visit to Chicago official, you must try this place at least once. The place is a wealth of history. But don't disregard the sign as you walk in, "Enter at your own risk".
ejames01 ejames01
Billy Goat Tavern Aug 01, 2009
They greet you with "You wanna double cheeseborger?" The cheeseburgers were great!! No fries only chips, No Coke only Pepsi.

Saturday Night Live got there famous skit from this tavern.
jl_ghs316 jl_ghs316
Dec 29, 2007
Recently I went to Chicago for the weekend to visit a friend. While I was there, we visited the Billy Goat Tavern. I had no clue that this was the place after the curse of the Cubs. I didn't even know what the curse was. I had heard about it, but not what had happened. The place has really good and greasy hamburgers. They don't have fries though. They serve chips. I had the double cheeseborger haha. It was good. The house beer is also worth a try. I had the dark brew. Nothing spectacular, but I always like to try new beer.
bkretzer bkretzer
Jul 17, 2006
The Billy Goat Tavern is a Chicago icon, established in 1934 by Bill Sianis. Bill Sianis is famous as the caster of the Cubs Curse. The story of which can be found on their website. It was made famous again when Bill Murray and John Belushi spoofed it on Saturday Night Live in the famous "Cheezeborger, Cheezeborger, Cheezeborger" skit.

The tavern, which obviously serves food, is located on Lower Michigan Ave. In the area of the city by the river, the streets have an upper, used for traffic, and lower levels which are used for deliveries and city work, like trash pick up. So you have to take a set of stairs down to it. The lower level is a whole other world and not the most inviting place.

We went in during mid afternoon, so we missed the lunch and dinner crowds. The line went quick and we all ordered a single cheeseburger. The man at the grill (maybe Bill Charuchas??) tells "No, double is the best" We took his advise and to be honest it was a very good burger. The atmosphere inside is set by all of the photos and paraphernalia on the walls. Chicago Tribune columnist Mike Royko used to hang out here quite a bit too. So there is a lot of history on the walls.

The service was fine. The prices were about what you would pay in any restaurant. But, you go there if you want touch a piece of history on several levels, and get a good hamburger for your trouble.

They have several locations around town, but this is the one to go to. They sell souvenir T-shirts and other remembrances.
The Billy Goat Tavern

Related Travel Blogs About Billy Goat Tavern

Our first Day in Chicago
It has been a long day so far. We began by getting up before the birds or our cats. My cat, ChaChi (Don’t blame me, my daughter named him) just gave me this look that said. “What the hell are you…Chicago at 9:30 AM , so it was relatively cool. Relatively. Our walk to the Billy Goat Tavern fixed that…

Check Chicago Hotel Deals