Billie's Black

271 W 119th street, Harlem, NY, USA

Billie's Black Harlem Reviews

HuBison HuBison
Bougie downhome Southern cuisine with extra goodies May 09, 2011
Whoa-when in Harlem and you want that vibe, don't walk past this little spot...and I mean it, it's on an odd shaped street and it's not very big (you might miss it if you don't know what you're looking for).

I was invited to hear a friend of a friend sing and I rolled my eyes into the back of my head and agreed to go. Good thing I did! The place is tiny, I still don't see how they fit 7 people on the stage, but this place was so groovy. They had an electric piano player, a guitarist, a drummer, a base player, 2 back-up singers, and the main performer on this little ole stage, but they sounded and entertained so well, that stage could been in Madison Square Garden. The way the table were situated (and I was happy I sat at the bar), there were about 35 patrons in there.

Their menu consisted on catfish fingers, mac and cheese, wings, coconut shrimp (are you hungry yet?), challah french toast, burgers and the like. They have a dinner menu and the serve "last call" from 3-4am on Fridays and Saturdays where you can order from a limited menu of food and pay $3.59 for a shot.

Just to give you the vibe, the band played and sang music that could be described as a fusion of R&B, soul, and funk. I really am not a live music person, but they did a great job and as I soon I remember the artist's name, I'll post it. They pulled up another artist on the stage at random and asked her to sing a bit. Her voice was phenomenal. Her info is available at www.mahasinonline.com

I enjoyed the food, my friend ordered peach cobbler and I wasn't about to try that, but she said it was good and piping hot from the oven. My drink was good too-great owner/bartender. So, if you're wandering through Harlem, I recommend stopping by this place.

Compare Fort Lee Hotel Rates (5.2km away)

Billie's Black Map