Bilbao Bar

bilbaobar.co.uk - +44 (0)113 3454323

Bilbao Bar Leeds Reviews

DAO DAO
Beyond Tapas Feb 09, 2017
Pintxo is a Basque word meaning “thorn”, but are actually mouth-watering snacks that are made with care, served with a smile and make you feel happy inside. Well it does here at Bilbao Bar anyway. Pinxtos are small snacks requiring cutlery and typically eaten in bars in the Basque region. They really are delicious here, but do not miss the main event(s). The first time I ate here, I tried it because it was new, looked exciting and the owners spoke to me before they opened. I had given up on ‘Tapas’ places due to lacklustre service, small portions, and lack of quality over the years. Bilbao is way beyond Tapas. They have 2 chefs who good sized portions that are as good to look at as they are to eat. And the prices are eye catching as well. You can dine in luxury here and still afford to pay the bill. They have daily and weekly specials, lunch time offers and cold beer. Did I mention the beer? Or wine? The selection list is almost as big as the restaurant. It’s intimate and always buzzing but not cramped.

I had the 2 dishes that are best described by the lovely people at Bilbao themselves:

Carrillera de ternera al Rioja & puré de patatas

Veal in Rioja red wine sauce & mash potatoes

Bloque de costilla de cerdo deshuesada y glaseada

Crispy Ribs in a sticky sauce (bone removed)

Delicious! Served with a cold draft Alhambra beer – get in there! And Mondays they have Tapas at half price! It is not a big restaurant – so book ahead on their website to avoid missing out on being able to take pictures of the delicious food like I did.

Bilbao is also an award winning restaurant! I know – I awarded them with a Top Restaurant Award for another website! They deserve it.
Toonsarah says:
I really should stop reading your restaurant reviews as they always make me hungry ;-)
Posted on: Feb 09, 2017